Is it okay to buy a used motherboard

boneeye

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
Is it okay to buy a used motherboard? My girlfriend's motherboard is broken and she needs a new one. We live in the Philippines where pc parts are usually overpriced (mainly due to it being imported from other countries). I saw this ad online (link: https://www.olx.ph/item/forsale-msi-990fxa-gd80-mobo-am3-ID7uEYM.html?p=6&h=4b34b89ff6#4b34b89ff6) that sells a MSI 990fxa for a very cheap price. It has been bought last year. I have no way of testing it if ever I get it because I don't have any parts to test it with, and the seller has already sold the other parts of his pc. I'll only know if it works when I replace my girlfriends motherboard (she lives very far away from me though). Should I bite the bullet and buy it?

Solution
Hmmmm, I'd contact the seller and ask him if it's in full working condition. I have both sold and bought used hardware without any issues before but I also understand there are people out there that will try and take advantage. If you can afford a mobo that's brand new then that would be the "safer" option but if you are really struggling for budget then the used mobo is a good deal. I think it's worth the risk personally but that's your choice dude!

_JakeDavies

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
Buying used is not a bad thing. It look's as if the mobo is in good condition but because I'm from the UK I don't know the terms of that website. If the item is received and is broke or damaged will the website help you with a return or money back system or is it all up to you? If the website is like eBay and has a money back guarantee then I'd bite the bullet and get it.

_JakeDavies

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
Hmmmm, I'd contact the seller and ask him if it's in full working condition. I have both sold and bought used hardware without any issues before but I also understand there are people out there that will try and take advantage. If you can afford a mobo that's brand new then that would be the "safer" option but if you are really struggling for budget then the used mobo is a good deal. I think it's worth the risk personally but that's your choice dude!

Solution