Question Is it okay to buy used RAM?

giancua0

Commendable
Nov 22, 2018
I want to buy used Corsair RAM off eBay, but am not too sure if it's reliable. Does anyone have any experience with buying used parts? And can let me know if it's reliable? Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
I want to buy used Corsair RAM off eBay, but am not too sure if it's reliable. Does anyone have any experience with buying used parts? And can let me know if it's reliable? Thanks!
You're not buying "from ebay"
You are buying from some dude, on the ebay platform.

How much reduced is this vs the actual price of the exact same new parts, in your local market?

giancua0

Commendable
Nov 22, 2018
You're not buying "from ebay"
You are buying from some dude, on the ebay platform.

How much reduced is this vs the actual price of the exact same new parts, in your local market?
I mean that's pretty obvious I'm buying off someone else on eBay, that should go without saying not sure why you brought that up.

It depends on what you are buying. Are you buying something fake that someone else is trying to pawn off because they got ripped off? Are you buying an outright fake? Are you buying something defective? Or is it just a nice used part that will work great? The skilled buyer will get the last one--the newbie can end up ripped off.

The price tells you a bit about what you are buying. If it's used and not at least 1/2 the cost of new, it's not worth it imo as a new part comes with a guarantee of authenticity (when bought from a legit retailer) as well as a warranty.

But other times, used is a significant discount. Like ddr3 server ram that I usually can buy for under $1/gb shipped--you won't find that anywhere new unless it's fake. And ram generally doesn't fail so you're pretty safe with used parts.