Question Is it okay to put an 850W PSU + monitor on an extension board with a 1100V wire?

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Long story short, I'm getting a pc and there are enough sockets in my room but only one of them has the connection to an inverter as well, so that's the only plug that's powered if say, the light goes out, so will i be fine with plugging my monitor (32 inch, 165Hz, 1080p) and my to-be build (3080ti, i7 12700F, 32GB RAM, 850W PSU) on a 5 socket extension board with a 1100V input cable? Or should I plug the CPU directly to that socket and the monitor in another one that's not connected to the inverter? I'm probably not getting an SMPS for the PC itself.

Also there aren't many power shortages happening here but just in case...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Your whole topic is so confusing that i don't get what you are asking.

For example:

on a 5 socket extension board with a 1100V input cable?

1000V and more, AC current, is high voltage. PCs operate on DC voltage, of 12V, 5V and 3.3V. And normal AC voltage within household is 120V (USA) or 240V (the rest of the world).

So, i do not get, why would you want to plug your monitor and PC to high voltage source, other than outright frying it all.

I'm probably not getting an SMPS for the PC itself.

SMPS = switched-mode power supply. It's less common term for PSU = Power Supply Unit.

Here, i don't get why wouldn't you want to get a PSU. Do you already have, at least 850W DC power source, with correct 24 ATX pin, 6/2 pin PCI-E and 4/4 pin EPS cables?

Or should I plug the CPU directly to that socket

CPU is powered via 4/4 pin +12V EPS socket, on MoBo. Why would you want to power CPU off from another source? Leaving the rest of the build: MoBo, GPU and the rest of components, to be powered by something else.

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Sorry, English isn't my first language so i get confused with words

Let me clarify, the extension board can get an input upto 1100V (it's wire is a thick one). So will i be fine with plugging the PC and the monitor into that?
CPU is powered via 4/4 pin +12V EPS socket, on MoBo. Why would you want to power CPU off from another source? Leaving the rest of the build: MoBo, GPU and the rest of components, to be powered by something else.
Another sorry for this one, here the common term for the whole build is "CPU" so yeah, I'm talking about the whole build when i say that.
SMPS = switched-mode power supply. It's less common term for PSU = Power Supply Unit.
Again, i mean that small box people get to keep their PC powered when there's an electricity shortage

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Can you give us your UPS make and model, or part number? So that i can look up it's specifications and tell if it's a good idea, or not, to plug your PC into it. SInce not all UPSes are good for powering PC.

Edit: Calling whole desktop PC as "CPU" is dumb. Since CPU = Central Processing Unit, and is the name of small chip, within the PC, that does all the calculations. Better use: PC, build, system, rig, desktop etc word. Makes more sense.

Edit 2: Or if you are asking us, if you should plug your PC and monitor to extension cord. Well, best not to do it, if you have other options. If not, and this is the only choice, then you have no other choice than to use that extension cord.

Last edited:

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Edit 2: Or if you are asking us, if you should plug your PC and monitor to extension cord. Well, best not to do it, if you have other options. If not, and this is the only choice, then you have no other choice than to use that extension cord.
That's what I'm asking, i do have more sockets to mains but only one socket that is powered by an inverter incase the electricity shorts (by inverter i mean the one that powers the whole house, specifically with a rating of 1.4 KVA)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
by inverter i mean the one that powers the whole house, specifically with a rating of 1.4 KVA

What device is at the other end of the inverter, that enables you to have power, once the main electricity grid experiences a blackout?

Also, what kind of waveform it outputs? Square wave? Simulated sine wave? Or true/pure sine wave? Since out of the three, only one is compatible with modern day PCs (namely, PSUs with Active PFC).

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
What device is at the other end of the inverter, that enables you to have power, once the main electricity grid experiences a blackout?

Also, what kind of waveform it outputs? Square wave? Simulated sine wave? Or true/pure sine wave? Since out of the three, only one is compatible with modern day PCs (namely, PSUs with Active PFC).
it's a pure sinewave

1100V input cable? Is that the writing on the cable? If so it is the insulation rating on the cable not the line voltage to the socket board! The line voltage and the amp (A) rating is what we would need to know to give any recommendation.
Yeah, that's what the cable says, I'll be back later to tell the amp and the voltage, not at home right now.
By inventer, you mean the one that is connected to solar pannels ?
The one that uses big batteries to power the appliances in blackouts