Is it okay to remove this?

FGarray

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
My mother has an old office PC with an LGA775 Motherboard, and I decided to take it in to do some much needed work on it. (GPU was running at 100 degrees Celsius at 50% load! :no:)

When I was cleaning out dust from the CPU cooler, I noticed this large part on top of the fan was probably sucking tons of dust into the heatsink, because there was holes on the side of the case right around where the cooler was. I wanted to know if it is safe to remove that part and just run it without that, because I see LGA1155 stock coolers do not have that. The PC's model is the Acer Aspire M5700.

Thank you in advance!

Pictures: Imgur

Christian Angelo

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2013
I'm guessing you mean the funnel shaped object/shroud that points air directly to the cpu?

If this is what you were talking about: It's designed to do just that, to hopefully cool the heatsink down a little more. It's safe to remove that, check temps with and without it and see what looks better.

If it isn't then explain yourself a little bit better :p

FGarray

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013

Yeah, that's what I meant, thanks for answering :)
EDIT: Forgot to make the topic as a question, or I would have selected you as the best answer. Could an admin or moderator change that?