[SOLVED] Is it okay to run an 8Gb stick of server ram with an 8Gb stick of normal kingston ram?

BlueMicrobe

Commendable
Sep 20, 2020
I have a system with 8Gb‘s of Ddr3 1600mhz ram and im looking up upgrade to 16gb’s of dual channel ram. Im trying to keep this PC on a buget as its not my normal Pc and my mate is willing to give me 8Gb of Ddr3 server ram, only question is will they work together... Will the ECC cause a compatibility issue or what?

Solution
Its indeed and RDIMM stick, Also you said that sever boards can be cheap and pleantiful. Where do you get them from because the cheapest second hand one ive seen was I think a socket 1155 for around $133 [Not including shipping]
Yep, and ddr ecc reg can be found for well under <$1/gb if you know where to look. ;)

Not a server board, a whole server. You can pick up working servers with 32gb of ram for under $100 on reddit hardwareswap, local craigslist or other places for swapping hardware. I bought my Dell R710 with 12GB of ram for $75 shipped. :D And this was 2 years ago.
So if it is an ecc udimm, it has a shot of working as some systems simply ignore the ecc on a udimm and just use it as a udimm.

However, if it is an ecc rdimm, there's no way it will work as ecc registered memory requires a completely different memory controller in the chipset that consumer boards simply do not have. This is one of the reasons I like repurposing servers as desktops because the ram is cheap and plentiful and servers can be too.

BlueMicrobe

Commendable
Sep 20, 2020
So if it is an ecc udimm, it has a shot of working as some systems simply ignore the ecc on a udimm and just use it as a udimm.

However, if it is an ecc rdimm, there's no way it will work as ecc registered memory requires a completely different memory controller in the chipset that consumer boards simply do not have. This is one of the reasons I like repurposing servers as desktops because the ram is cheap and plentiful and servers can be too.

Its indeed and RDIMM stick, Also you said that sever boards can be cheap and pleantiful. Where do you get them from because the cheapest second hand one ive seen was I think a socket 1155 for around $133 [Not including shipping]

Yep, and ddr ecc reg can be found for well under <$1/gb if you know where to look. ;)

Not a server board, a whole server. You can pick up working servers with 32gb of ram for under $100 on reddit hardwareswap, local craigslist or other places for swapping hardware. I bought my Dell R710 with 12GB of ram for $75 shipped. :D And this was 2 years ago.

Solution