Is it possible for Ethernet on motherboard to fail

jw79

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017
I turned my machine on one day and I can no longer connect to a network through the Ethernet cable. I’ve tried various solutions online such as flushing dns, renewing IP, winsock reset etc through the command prompt but no luck. I’ve changed the cable and the Powerline adapter I’m using, still no luck. I’ve uninstalled the card and reinstalled through windows, also updating the driver but still doesn’t work. Lastly I reset windows, reinstalling through the reset option in windows 10 and it’s still not connecting. I’ve run out of ideas now and guess the last thing is to buy a network card but didn’t want to if I’ve missed something. Is there any way of checking the functionality of the on board Ethernet (device manager says it’s working properly) or is there anything else I could try?

Thanks
James

kanewolf

Titan
You need to simplify your ethernet path. Connect directly to the router with an ethernet cable. If you have to temporarily move your PC or run a long cable over the carpet, that is what you need to do to determine if you have a problem with your PC or a problem with your network hardware. Use a brand new cat5e round cable (no flat cables).

jw79

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017
Great tip thank you, don’t know why I’d didn’t think of it. Everything works when connected downstairs to the router. Also works if I connect to the Powerline downstairs. Great to know there’s nothing wrong with the hardware but now even more lost as to why it no longer works upstairs. Unless I have two faulty Powerline adapters

jw79

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017
Ok so I’ve moved the pc back upstairs and even used the same power link adapter that worked downstairs and it doesn’t work again. Anyone any idea what may cause this?

jw79

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017

Yeah they’re both directly connected straight into the outlet. I’ve just tried resetting both and then repairing them, which works fine but still no connection to my pc. I’ve used these for quite while with no issues at all until now