[SOLVED] is it possible i got virus

Nov 20, 2021
I was trying to install a mod for a game. I went to and clicked download button. the website was like a gaming website with a lot of viewers and comments so it seemed legit. I ran the website URL on virus total and it said it was safe. So I clicked the download button and then it led to me a weird long URL website with only download button. (I also ran the long URL in virus total it said it was safe) and then it downloaded an exe file. i ran it and like a second later when I ran it the file disappeared. i downloaded the file on my crappy laptop and then ran it on virus total. It said the file was like unsafe and had trojan files or something. Could my PC be in danger? i ran full scan and chk dsk on windows defender. it said nothing was found, I also cleaned up the game files just in case it installed something in the game. and reinstalled it. could my PC be in danger?

Solution
If Windows Defender "flags" gives you an outright notification that action is required then you might have picked up something that requires user attention to resolve.

Simply open Windows defender and see what is going for what. ( It's the shield icon on your taskbar [and it has a yellow or red icon if something isn't quite right, green when all is save and well] easy clicked on to open).

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
If Windows Defender "flags" gives you an outright notification that action is required then you might have picked up something that requires user attention to resolve.

Simply open Windows defender and see what is going for what. ( It's the shield icon on your taskbar [and it has a yellow or red icon if something isn't quite right, green when all is save and well] easy clicked on to open).

Solution
Nov 20, 2021

Simply open Windows defender and see what is going for what. ( It's the shield icon on your taskbar [and it has a yellow or red icon if something isn't quite right, green when all is save] easy clicked on to open.
its not giving me any flags or anything it says everythings clean.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019

Other than what is known, from this point you must monitor pc behavior and compare to what it should be... this is the only clue.
No antivirus/malware solution is 100%.

The best tool is that which exists between your ears. Which you apparently ignored at multiple steps.

Nov 20, 2021
Don't know if my opinion on this matter is allowed on this forum, but I would not go and install 3rd party security apps, they cause more problem than they can fix. (my opinion)
I think the third party antivirus is good for scanning but not good to keep it. Ill try some trusted ones. can viruses go through networks and affect other pcs on the same network tho? that's kinda what I'm worried abt rn

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I think the third party antivirus is good for scanning but not good to keep it. Ill try some trusted ones. can viruses go through networks and affect other pcs on the same network tho? that's kinda what I'm worried abt rn

Yes, Viruses, trojans and other malware related, can infect and destroy hardware and software, also your operating system and even fully encrypt all your files, and totally lock you out of your pc, whilst hacking your accounts and screwing with your habits and life in general and even linking your pc to an objective input.

Nov 20, 2021
Yes, Viruses, trojans and other malware related, can infect and destroy hardware and software, also your operating system and even fully encrypt all your files, and totally lock you out of your pc, whilst hacking your accounts and screwing with your habits and life in general and even linking your pc to an objective input.
there is a way to permanantly get them out of your computer(s) tho right?

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
there is a way to permanantly get them out of your computer(s) tho right?

Yes, Reset your motherboard bios, Nuke all your drives (meaning format and delete every thing you have and start from the very beginning). But that's just speculation.

And you have to follow these procedures buy an exact method, or you wont be successful to get rid of something maliciously infected.

Nov 20, 2021
Yes, Reset your motherboard bios, Nuke all your drives (meaning format and delete every thing you have and start from the very beginning). But that's just speculation.

And you have to follow these procedures buy an exact method, or you wont be successful to get rid of something maliciously infected.
well right now there is no slowdown but there is only about 20-10 fps drop in all games. i also ran malwarebytes it didn't find anything