[SOLVED] Is it possible that bottlenecking cause BSoD?

Nov 1, 2020
I recently bought a Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT and pair it with a Ryzen 3 2200G which causes a huge bottleneck for the GPU. I've been getting BSoD every time I play games and I wonder whether it's possible that the bottleneck caused the BSoD.

I am planning on upgrading my CPU later in the future, but at the moment I'm planning on finding out the cause of this problem and decide whether I should get a replacement for my RAM or my CPU. I wanna know whether it's my CPU and GPU or my RAM that's causing this, because outside of games it runs completely fine.

Solution
A CPU bottleneck usually causes poor frame rates and more frequent stutter, not crashes. A crappy, old or under-powered PSU can cause random reboots and sometimes crashes. There are also the odd cases where the GPU VRM, CPU VRM and PSU aren't playing nice with each other.

For the memory, you could try running memtest86+ overnight to see if it catches something. If you get any errors, the RAM is either bad or needs tweaking for stability.

InvalidError

Titan
A CPU bottleneck usually causes poor frame rates and more frequent stutter, not crashes. A crappy, old or under-powered PSU can cause random reboots and sometimes crashes. There are also the odd cases where the GPU VRM, CPU VRM and PSU aren't playing nice with each other.

For the memory, you could try running memtest86+ overnight to see if it catches something. If you get any errors, the RAM is either bad or needs tweaking for stability.

Reactions: somitemp
Solution