Question is it possible that cpu fan header doesn't supply enough power to cpu fan?

Jun 26, 2019
Hi.So I have this problem since few days now,I think I've tried everything so far. I've build my first ever computer on Saturday, but I'm not able to run it properly due to cpu fan not spinning when connected to cpu fan header.

Here is what happens:
-the fan spins for a second when computer boots.Then it stops.The temperature reaches 100 degrees, the fan is not kicking in, computer slows down.
-tried to mess around in BIOS settings, all the case fans spins nicely, cpu fan doesn't,ans it shows 0 speed.
-when I've switched fans over-case fan to cpu and vice versa-the cpu fan works fine, but the case fan spins around 300 rpm only.This means to me there is no faulty in cpu fan itself.

I have updated BIOS and cleared CMOS.Now I'm getting cpu fan error message on the screen when booting and when cpu fan is connected to its socket.
I'm going to take it somewhere for repairing tomorrow,because I've ran out of ideas and I'm getting really frustrated.Everything is new and fresh from the box.Is it possible the motherboard is faulty? Do you think they would possibly have it done for me at the shop? Or should I get another mobo?

My mobo is MSI Mortar Titanium B450, processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600, RAM Corsair Vengeance PRO 2x8,PCU Seasonic 650W.

English is not my first language,so sorry for any mistakes :)

Appreciate any help you can give me guys.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It's possible, but i would sooner go down a faulty CPU cooler first.
Is it the stock cooler?

Resetting BIOS probably won't help as the BIOS error code is effectively saying there is a hardware error. But it sometimes can, not in your case it would seem.
You can also plug the CPU fan into another header and see if the fan spins normally, if so, it could indicate a CPU fan header problem.

Jun 26, 2019
It's possible, but i would sooner go down a faulty CPU cooler first.
Is it the stock cooler?

Resetting BIOS probably won't help as the BIOS error code is effectively saying there is a hardware error. But it sometimes can, not in your case it would seem.
You can also plug the CPU fan into another header and see if the fan spins normally, if so, it could indicate a CPU fan header problem.
Thank you!
The CPU I got came together with a fan.
And yes, I have pluged it in to system fan header and it's working fine.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thank you!
The CPU I got came together with a fan.
And yes, I have pluged it in to system fan header and it's working fine.
Have you verified the fan profile in the BIOS settings?
Does it allow you to boot normally with the CPU fan in another header?

I would be tempted to RMA the motherboard if it is new as the fan header clearly must not be working if the CPU fan works normally on a normal fan header. But check BIOS profile first.

Jun 26, 2019
Have you verified the fan profile in the BIOS settings?
Does it allow you to boot normally with the CPU fan in another header?

I would be tempted to RMA the motherboard if it is new as the fan header clearly must not be working if the CPU fan works normally on a normal fan header. But check BIOS profile first.
It allows me to boot, yes.

I have swapped the motherboard for new one, same issue. I'm going to the repair shop tomorrow.