[SOLVED] Is it possible that my i5-6400 is bottlenecking my Geforce RTX 2070?

Jun 30, 2020
I feel like my Geforce RTX 2070 isn't being used to it's full potential, or even 75% of it's potential for that matter. Is it possible that it's my CPU that's bottlenecking the performance of my graphics card, or could it be something else?

Solution
It's not only possible, but actually that is the case...
you have to change your CPU.... (your whole configuration)..
You have to go with at least Ryzen 3600, so the CPU can keep up in terms of gaming...
It's not only possible, but actually that is the case...
you have to change your CPU.... (your whole configuration)..
You have to go with at least Ryzen 3600, so the CPU can keep up in terms of gaming...

Last edited:
Solution
I feel like my Geforce RTX 2070 isn't being used to it's full potential, or even 75% of it's potential for that matter. Is it possible that it's my CPU that's bottlenecking the performance of my graphics card, or could it be something else?

You'd have to provide full system specs for us to tell if something else is impacting the 2070...the i5-6400 is part of the issue for sure. On a quad cpu for gaming you'd want to be as close to 5ghz as possible and you'll still be bottlenecked in some scenarios. If you can afford to move to a faster 4c/8t chip it will help a lot.

Reactions: Techguy46
Jun 30, 2020
You'd have to provide full system specs for us to tell if something else is impacting the 2070...the i5-6400 is part of the issue for sure. On a quad cpu for gaming you'd want to be as close to 5ghz as possible and you'll still be bottlenecked in some scenarios. If you can afford to move to a faster 4c/8t chip it will help a lot.

Thanks Dorsai, will give the specs once I get home

Possible? No.....

Definitely? Yes. :)

The 6700K/7700K are the 'end of the line' for 100/200 series mainboards, but, normally prices are inflated for these on Amazon for this very reason... (An R5-3600 is often on sale for $165, with decent B550 mainboards at $130-$145 or so... (B450 is less expensive, $120 or so if you can find one like one of MSI's variants that supports BIOS flash without needing a CPU installed...)

Reactions: Techguy46