Is it possible to add a separate new MBR HDD 2TB to old GPT HDD 4TB ?

himanshucbhagat

Prominent
Nov 9, 2018
Hi, I have 4TB HDD (MBR) converted to GPT few years back (as I have an old motherboard with UEFI support). I used AOMEI partition to convert it from MBR to GPT for complete 4tb usage.

Now my windows has corrupt & wouldnt let me format or reinstall due to GPT partition style.

I bought a separate 2TB HDD (default MBR) & want to install windows on it.

So my question, is it possible to do this ? If yes, any steps to be taken care of ?

Motherboard - Gigabyte Z68X-UD7-B3

HDD - WD BLACK 4TB & 2 TB

Solution
Disconnect 4TB drive,
connect 2TB drive,
install windows,
connect 4TB drive.

BTW - your board has Gigabyte Hybrid EFI technology. It allows to boot from GPT drives.
HDDs generally do not come with any partition table. Simply install windows on it as normal and it will write whatever partition table is necessary.

If you've already formatted the drive, many freeware tools will allow you to change the partition table (this generally requires wiping the drive), and the Windows installer will do it for you if you delete all partitions on the drive and make one new one to install the OS on.

yes you can have one drives formatted in GPT and one drive as MBR side by side each formatting of drives are handled differently in the operating system and will not cause an data issue.

you said
Now my windows has corrupt & wouldnt let me format or reinstall due to GPT partition style.
which leads me to a question; how did you installed windows on GPT partition previously ?

Colif

Win 11 Master
which version of Windows?

Did you try deleting all the partitions on the 4tb drive? Often the GPT error just wants you to delete all the partitions so windows can make its own (at least, thats what happens with win 10)

If you installing win 10, and you have UEFI support, win 10 will want you to use GPT as well. It will throw an error about GPT at you in the install process, and answer is the same as above, delete all the partitions and click next.

himanshucbhagat

Prominent
Nov 9, 2018

Hi Senior Moderator & Colif

I actually want to avoid deleting all the partitions with data on my 4TB GPT drive & keep them as it is. I just want to add an extra 2TB & install fresh copy of windows on it. Since I havent tried this before, I am confused will it work together safely.

Currently I am using Windows-7 64bit. As my system is old, it supports GPT (only after conversion). By default it picks up the MBR. Today in newer systems it automatically decides.

himanshucbhagat

Prominent
Nov 9, 2018
Hi The Paladin,

I actually Installed Windows-7 64bit first on my empty 4TB HDD. When I saw it was only showing 2TB, I converted to GPT & unlocked the remaining 2 TB by using AOMEI partition.

himanshucbhagat

Prominent
Nov 9, 2018
Hi SkynetRising,

Thanks for the solution. Yes that is what I had in my mind, but was afraid since I never tried. You are right about the Hybrid EFI, but it just doesnt let me install windows on my exisiting GPT drive. I tried re-installing/ formatting my current C drive (4TB), but it shows error that "Windows cannot be installed on a GPT drive"

Colif

Win 11 Master
1st thing I would do was remove 4tb drive from system. Just makes sure windows only uses the 2tb drive to install files on

Do you have the installer disks?

follow this guide: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html

hope you have fast internet as getting all the updates will take a while. There is a way to speed up win 7 install time but I can't find it (google being dumb)

When inserting a boot drive (USB or DVD with windows) to boot in UEFI installation (aka gpt) it has a uefi in front of it, for example:
SeagateHDD
USBSTICK
UEFI:USBSTICK
So in order to try to install an operating system in gpt you must select the option with the uefi in front in my example UEFI:USBSTICK. The other option without uefi in front is the legacy mode (AKA MBR)

EDIT:I forgot to mention that after the install you dont select as boot device the HDD, you must select Windows Boot Manager in BIOS (it will be added after the install). The windows will not boot if you select your hdd, it will boot only using windows boot manager.

himanshucbhagat

Prominent
Nov 9, 2018
Hi Guys, Thanks a lot everyone for the solution, I am gonna try those. I am yet to try the solution out. Most probably today, my engineer is going to visit to help me with this. I will keep you guys posted.

himanshucbhagat

Prominent
Nov 9, 2018
However, I have one more question if you guys can guide me.

I have used AOMEI for MBR to GPT conversion, does uninstalling it will still keep the conversion ? I still have it installed at the moment.

Does the conversion is lifetime or it changes as soon as I removed the AOMEI software or any other conversion software ?

Thanks.