Aug 6, 2021
Hi everyone, I wanted to ask if you know if it is possible to add a 760k processor to an ms-7778 motherboard. According to the manufacturer's list of compatible cpu, this processor is not on that list but I have seen other users who have managed to get it to work.

The main problem I had when trying is that this cpu does not have a graphics processor so I can't see anything on the screen and if I try to add a graphics card I can't either because for the graphics card to work before you have to disable the UEFI mode of the motherboard.

I would really appreciate if anyone knows how to achieve this.

Solution
Thanks for the reply Drea. Yes, it is a predesigned HP computer. I understand what you are saying but I have a feeling that it works. If I could activate the legacy mode I could confirm it ... but I don't know how to do it if I don't have video output. :(
Add the GPU and then reset CMOS. Do it with power off and plug pulled, remove battery and short the pins for 30 sec's to a minute.

You might also start the system with no drives connected; since it can't find a drive to find an EFI partition it should go straight into the BIOS. If it still doesn't give you display in BIOS and you know for a fact the GPU is good then the board, or PSU, probably has a defect.

You will probably need to do this with a CPU you know the board's...
That's in an HP desktop pre-built? If HP doesn't state it's a supported upgrade then they don't provide BIOS support. While I'm not saying it's impossible to do it, it will probably entail a modded BIOS or cross-updating from another similar board.

That sort of thing is in the realm of advanced hackery where it's just as easy to brick the board as make something of it. Not really something people in this forum do, to be honest.

Aug 6, 2021
Thanks for the reply Drea. Yes, it is a predesigned HP computer. I understand what you are saying but I have a feeling that it works. If I could activate the legacy mode I could confirm it ... but I don't know how to do it if I don't have video output. :(

Add the GPU and then reset CMOS. Do it with power off and plug pulled, remove battery and short the pins for 30 sec's to a minute.

You might also start the system with no drives connected; since it can't find a drive to find an EFI partition it should go straight into the BIOS. If it still doesn't give you display in BIOS and you know for a fact the GPU is good then the board, or PSU, probably has a defect.

You will probably need to do this with a CPU you know the board's BIOS supports since you may need to force-update another BIOS before it will recognize and initialize the 760k processor.

Last edited:
Solution