Question Is it possible to bind a system fan to GPU temperature?

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I mounted some fans to the side of my case to help my GPU since it was hitting it's temperature limit in my case, but it only helps if either I manually set the fans to max which is way too loud, or by chance the case fan those site fans are tied to is running high. I assumed that part of the case fans would respond to the GPU but they do not. Is there any software out there where I can set it so if the GPU is running hot it makes a case fan run faster? This is a Dell Precision T5810 Desktop so a lot of the older fan control software I tried doesn't seem to be able to be able to see the system fans either.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, OEM machines are a different matter. If you don't have the option from Dell, you aren't likely to find a third party tool. Last I saw Dell also used proprietary 5-pin fan headers, they expect the hardware to be configured as it was from the factory.

You could install a USB controlled fan hub and your own fans I suppose. Might have to unplug the Dell fans, which you may need to disable any warnings about that in the BIOS.

Typical PWM consumer boards can certainly be set up to control fans based on GPU temperatures.

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
The 5-pin header is just for the CPU fan... and the 5th pin is not even populated with a pin/wire. The case fans are 4-pin. They do use a different connector and pinout, but still use the same 4 wires as standard PWM fans, I actually made my own custom cables to connect them like this:

View: https://imgur.com/a/hF2S0b5

The problem is when I was doing the testing OCCT was blasting the entire system, which did make all the case fans spin faster too, now that I am using it normally when it's just the GPU heating up the case fan even though it's supposed to be for cooling the GPU isn't spinning up with it.

Reactions: Colif

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
You have put more effort into cooling the parts than dell did with that fan mod.

Wish I could offer something else.

I know it's a workstation, but I am shocked there wasn't a rear fan of all things on it, especially with how much heat the CPU cooler dumps into the back of the case. Dell designed it so the super-high airflow fans in the front and those two vents over the RAM would provide all the air for the entire system.