Question Is it possible to change the motherboard & CPU of a Lenovo Thinkcentre?

Aug 9, 2024
I unplugged the motherboard of a prebuilt pc (lenovo thinkcentre e73) and put in a mobo with a different cpu. the problem is that the cables are not matching with the mobo, and i read now that oem computers are impossible to upgrade, is this true or can i take a chance at sending my pc to a technician and risk wasting money on service charges?

Can you provide the details of the new motherboard and CPU? Brand, model name and number, etc.

I think that E73 was introduced in 2013. Quite old technology.

Why did you change boards? Had the old one failed completely?

I'd be skeptical it would be worthwhile to attempt the upgrade, but if you are indifferent to the cost, who knows?

Aug 9, 2024
Can you provide the details of the new motherboard and CPU? Brand, model name and number, etc.

I think that E73 was introduced in 2013. Quite old technology.

Why did you change boards? Had the old one failed completely?

I'd be skeptical it would be worthwhile to attempt the upgrade, but if you are indifferent to the cost, who knows?
you will not even recognize the brand but here is a online store link of the mobo: https://cshop.co.za/products/tbit-h61-motherboard-lga1155-ddr3

and the CPU is an i7-3770 (old one was i3-4160) (technically an upgrade albeit an older generation.) I changed boards for the reason being the i7 is faster but wouldn't fit the original mobo, as the CPU sockets are not the same. I fitted everything in the case. thanks for replying.

What model motherboard did you use?
You probably have to change PSU also.

Lenovo thinkcentre e73 uses proprietary PSU power connectors on motherboard.
I changed the old 180w psu to a 500w psu.
In the lenovo, there were just 2 places the old psu were connected to the mobo: the 24pin mainboard and the 4 pin CPU.
Now with the new psu and mobo, i have done the same thing, the 24pin and the 4pin. thanks for the reply.

I changed the old 180w psu to a 500w psu.
In the lenovo, there were just 2 places the old psu were connected to the mobo: the 24pin mainboard and the 4 pin CPU.
Now with the new psu and mobo, i have done the same thing, the 24pin and the 4pin. thanks for the reply.
Then I don't understand, what cables are not matching.
Show some photos.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Oh, ok. I get it.
You have proprietary cables from Lenovo case and don't know, where to connect them.

This is a tough ask. Essentially you'd have to find pinouts for all Lenovo proprietary cables, rewire them and attach appropriate standard connectors.

It's easier to get a new standard pc case and avoid all that rewiring mess.

Aug 9, 2024
Oh, ok. I get it.
You have proprietary cables from Lenovo case and don't know, where to connect them.

This is a tough ask. Essentially you'd have to find pinouts for all Lenovo proprietary cables, rewire them and attach appropriate standard connectors.

It's easier to get a new standard pc case and avoid all that rewiring mess.
i could never, would it be too much to ask an IT technician to do that? is it a task that would take way more than a few hours to finish?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The front panel header is pretty straight forward. They even color coded it for you, on both boards no less.

USB ports look to have a little extra, but should also be pretty easy to deal with. But you don't actually NEED any of that stuff. You can just hook a switch up to the power button and call it a day.

But a new chassis is far easier. Got to a second hand store and find any if cost is an issue.

You would pay at least $100 to a tech to do a job like that, if not more.

I could see if there are existing adapters out there, plenty of companies make stuff like that. But again that is putting a lot of money into it vs a new chassis.

PC Assembly is quite straight forward, no real confusing parts even back in the 3rd and 4th gen Intel days.

All you really need is the motherboard manual and a Phillips head screwdriver.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2024
The front panel header is pretty straight forward. They even color coded it for you, on both boards no less.

USB ports look to have a little extra, but should also be pretty easy to deal with. But you don't actually NEED any of that stuff. You can just hook a switch up to the power button and call it a day.

But a new chassis is far easier. Got to a second hand store and find any if cost is an issue.

You would pay at least $100 to a tech to do a job like that, if not more.

I could see if there are existing adapters out there, plenty of companies make stuff like that. But again that is putting a lot of money into it vs a new chassis.

PC Assembly is quite straight forward, no real confusing parts even back in the 3rd and 4th gen Intel days.

All you really need is the motherboard manual and a Phillips head screwdriver.
all i want is for it to switch on, i don't care about the rest. Just turn on, and ill just plug peripherals at the back panel. its not worth spending $100 on this rig. Thanks for the post.