Is it possible to deactivate Win8 Product key....

Solution
Per the license agreements, retail versions of a Windows OS may be transferred to a new computer. An OEM version of a Windows OS is tied to the original motherboard it was installed on.

That said, people have previously reported success on transferring an OS to a new system and contacting Microsoft to re-activate it. This *MAY* work as it's entirely up to Microosft's discretion, but it would be prudent to be ready to purchase a new license if they decline your activation.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Per the license agreements, retail versions of a Windows OS may be transferred to a new computer. An OEM version of a Windows OS is tied to the original motherboard it was installed on.

That said, people have previously reported success on transferring an OS to a new system and contacting Microsoft to re-activate it. This *MAY* work as it's entirely up to Microosft's discretion, but it would be prudent to be ready to purchase a new license if they decline your activation.

-Wolf sends

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

This depends entirely on what type of license it is.
As said above, an OEM license is tied to that original motherboard. Microsoft may or may not allow an OEM license on a different PC.
A Retail license, no problem.

But disregard any "deactivation" routine you might come across. That actually does nothing.

L1vE_Daedalus

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015

The computer I want to deactivate use to have a dead HDD so I had to buy another hdd (laptop) and op for it now I want to deactivate it so I can use the same product key for a computer im building...

I bought the Win8 op from walmart if you need that info...

L1vE_Daedalus

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015

How do I check or how do I find out if the product is oem or retail

USAFRet

Titan

Windows Explorer
This PC
Right click and select Properties
Down at the bottom, "Product ID:"
Do you see the letters OEM in that string?
If yes, it is OEM
If no, it 'may be' but probably not OEM.

USAFRet

Titan

In the Windows licensing, there is no "deactivation".
You simply remove the OS from the old PC and install on the new PC.

If it is indeed a Retail license.

L1vE_Daedalus

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015

I bet its retail op its the one in purple box, it says full version, it does not say oem.
but any way you're saying nothing could be done right?

USAFRet

Titan
If it is a Retail license, just install it on the new PC.
Remove it from the old PC. There is no real "deactivation".

There is a command line function for 'deactivation', but that only tells that PC it has no license. It does not phone home and tell the activation servers that "this license is now deactivated".

L1vE_Daedalus

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015
I fell kinda bad for not saying this earlyer but I have done that before but not only did I install win8 on a laptop (with new hdd) but I tried to install it on a different desktop with a new hdd too, it did accepted the key but after a few days it said product key have been used does that mean its oem .....by the way for retail op's the key can be reused no mater what?

USAFRet

Titan

So all this asking if it was Retail or OEM...and you had the answer initially?

Anyway...a Retail license can be used, sequentially, on one PC at a time.
An OEM license is licensed to that original motherboard.

Wolfshadw

Titan

I'm pretty sure Microsoft will still give that warning regardless of if it's OEM or Retail. The OP activated the OS on his laptop. Then proceeded to attempt to activate on a desktop. When the key was checked it was found to have been used already; at which point, Microsoft probably provided a number to contact them so the OP could explain why they were trying to activate on another computer.

@L1vE_Daedalus - As long as it's a retail version of Windows (I didn't think Wally-World sold OEM versions), you can use it over and over again, provided that it's only activated (in use) on one system at a time. As stated (repeatedly), there is no "deactivation" process. When you contact Microsoft and explain why you're transferring your retail license to a new system, they'll make the changes in their database (probably) and walk you through the activation process. The retail OS on your laptop is automatically "deactivated" and attempting to use it again is against the Microsoft License Agreement.

-Wolf sends