Question Is it possible to expand storage using SD card or USB in Windows?

Toolbar

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
I have an HP Notebook - 14-cm0985na, it only has 32GB of eMMC storage, which is terrible. I was given this as the original owner was throwing it out. I have tried many OS's on it messing about, mainly versions of Android and Chrome OS, along with a couple of Linux, but my question is regarding windows (any of them).

Is it possible to expand the storage on it, using a USB or SD Card, from Windows?
I don't mean just adding storage as additional space, I mean expand the existing storage with an external device and make it usable, so for example it reads as one drive and install programs while using it etc?

I don't think it is, but I thought I would ask in case there is some clever program out there or script, that somebody has come up with that allows it. TIA.

The eMMC storage "may" be in a socket and can be replaced with a bigger one. However, its likely to be soldered onto the board.
In my experience of working in PC/Laptop repair/ refurb business, 32gb eMMC has never been fit for purpose and most laptops that came with those have a 1 year warranty and just about long enough to get through a year of windows updates until it filled up and would crash trying to install updates. The only thing to keep it going is to either do a fresh install of Win10 (also clean up system files regularly) when its full again or install Linux Mint (cinammon) desktop which is much smaller install.

Ive not known if the storage can be spanned across different physical units, so its a 32GB doorstop and a terrible eWaste feature.

Reactions: PEnns and Toolbar

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the only thing i could think of would be to add a usb drive to a "storage space" with win 10. i have no idea if you can add it to the 32gb to create one big drive, but it should if i understand the idea right. some looking around with this in mind turned this up

https://superuser.com/questions/1067593/connecting-a-usb-flash-drive-to-storage-spaces

it's a long shot and if it does work it will be VERY slow.

my question is what do you want to install that needs more space? these things were designed to run everything in the cloud including storage. i have loaded a couple of these type things up with linux mint and let them use the cloud as intended. they ran rather well for simple uses like browsing, streaming and basic office apps online.

Reactions: Toolbar

USAFRet

Titan
Possibly, via Storage Spaces.

But....performance will tank.

32GB has not been a viable size for a Windows install in a very long time. Especially if it is the only drive in the system.
I have an Asus Transformer with a 64GB eMMC. There is also a 256GB microSD (D drive), that takes ALL files not directly Windows related.

Toolbar

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2013
Thanks everyone, I had ChromeOS on it but I couldn't get to it to turn the WiFi on, I installed the drivers I got from here somewhere and followed a script but it still didn't work, other than that it was great. I got a version of Chromium OS too, same issue but it was also noticably slower. I didn't try Flex. I had Mint and took it off, then tried Zorin OS pro lite, Zorin OS lite, Bliss OS, Linux Lite and one or two others, most with issues (main issue always seemed to be the Wi-Fi switch even though I would be switching it on and off and have correct drivers). In the ened I got ReviOS and all seems to be running well, but i was hoping to be able to expand the storage as the kid it is going to will be installing Roblox etc on it.
Hopefully this won't update like windows and he will get a good run out of it until it needs a clean.
Thanks for all the answers, I will check if it is soldered in, and I will look at Storage Spaces.
All not lost if I can't. I will leave the SD card in and see if I can get Roblox to save to that, as i think that is where most of the storage will be used.

Some time ago, I bought a Lenovo 100s for a particular purpose.
Namely to run civ2 on battery during a long airplane flight.
It came with 2gb soldered ram, the same 32gb emmc storage with 32 bit windows 10 installed and a puny processor.
It served that process well.
On it was a SD slot into which I put a chip that acted like any normal drive for storage and apps.
I certainly think you should be able to install a reasonably large sd card for storage.
The HP forums for that laptop may get you closer to exactly what the requirements and limitations are.