Is it possible to fix a Motherboard USB port?

snoots

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
I purchased a XFX nForce 790i Ultra for near to nothing & one of the USB ports on the back is unknown. If you plug a memory stick in lights momentarily the goes out & the PC does not recognize it.

So far I've tried all the normal disable/uninstall - clear the CMOS jumper on the MB & pull the battery for 5 mins. Of course a fresh install of Windows 7.

Believe there is something physically wrong with the port. The one with the arrow.

2013-11-03

thanks

Solution
Well since you got it for next to nothing still sounds like a deal. Yes it does sound like damaged hardware. If the USB port below it works, I would guess it is the socket since they both connect to the MB at the same point. There is a 1 year warranty on new items. Since you have a deal you may want to add USB ports from the board header provided. The board comes with Extra USB that you can add.

snoots

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012

No.

If it can't be fixed is there anyway to make it disappear from the Device Manager permanently? I don't see any options in the BIOS.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Well since you got it for next to nothing still sounds like a deal. Yes it does sound like damaged hardware. If the USB port below it works, I would guess it is the socket since they both connect to the MB at the same point. There is a 1 year warranty on new items. Since you have a deal you may want to add USB ports from the board header provided. The board comes with Extra USB that you can add.

Solution

snoots

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012

For Windows XP.

I agree it's still a great deal, bought it on craigslist so :heink:

The seller did provide all the original components, manual, box, etc & I did connect the external bracket with 4 additional USB ports to the headers for a total of 10 (9 working).

However that message is annoying. Don't need the USB port, would just like to make the unknown device go away.

Maybe I'll fiddle with it some more. Guess if I break it just chalk it up to experience & craigslist risk.

thanks

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Try going to the Manufacturers site and downloading the latest board device drivers and the chip set drivers. It may be that windows needs those to recognize the device hub. Also have you tried looking in windows device manager to find the hardware that has the issue? You can try a few options there: 1. Uninstall the device and reboot. Windows will try to re-install it on the re-boot.; 2. Update the driver. This might work. If you see a named and not generic device listed (NEC USB Hub as an example) it may indicate you need the driver.

lp231

Splendid
The USB port is busted. Just disable it or leave it alone. Trying to fix it may result in all USB ports not working. Need more USB ports, then get a USB card, or run a USB hub. That motherboard does not have USB 3, so get a USB 3.0 card :D

snoots

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012

Well I fibbed to lookerup earlier. The CD also contained Vista drivers. It eventually led me to site where I could download the most current Chipset Drivers. Now I'm trying to determine if the BIOS is current.

XFX really isn't making this easy. Registration is required before I can ask them anything & for that I need the serial #. The previous owner cut that info out of the box (probably for a rebate) & CPUZ/Everest are no help. Guess I have to get inside again to get the serial #?

Having only had a Dell up to this point I wasn't really prepared for what I see here in the BIOS settings.
Right now I'm going thru the BIOS disabling all the unneeded options, e.g. IDE, floppy, serial port 1, JMicron AHCI controller & anything else I can find not in use. JMicron AHCI controller is particularly confusing, don't think it's required for SATA ports 0-5 AHCI. Guess it's not important since no SSD anyway.

Have uninstalled & allowed Windows to re-install couple times, doesn't seem to help.

Agree - it's probably busted. Already installed the 4 spare USB ports, that's plenty.

Edit: Also could not find the serial # in the BIOS.

lp231

Splendid
serial number for the board or the bios number version?
Serial number usually on the motherboard itself. Some like to make it look nice, so they stick it next to one of the PCIe slots.
In some cases they want to make it really nice, they stick it at the bottom of the board, but it's rare.

Bios version, usually during POST is you disable the boot logo.

snoots

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
This is the best I've done so far:
nForce Driver

Installed the nVidia Control Panel which has helped, hope it might provide the serial #. Does give the Current BIOS version = 2.053.L4 10/26/2009 and the manufacturer is nVidia.

Do I need to sign up at XFX for any support? Seems like nVidia is all I need.

I used the control panel update utility to save the BIOS & then tried to flash the BIOS but it told me provide a different System BIOS image.

Will keep looking for a BIOS update. Most likely none of this will fix the broken USB, right?:(

harlyboy59

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017