Is it possible to install mobo driver software from USB during boot

mpadhu

Distinguished
May 31, 2014
Hi folks,

I am stuck in a problem here. I have assembled my new PC which does not have a DVD drive. Installed windows 7 via pen drive. Installation was successful but windows could not detect any pen drive or external HDD since there is no driver software installed. Ethernet also does not work due to driver missing. I'm stuck here. Not sure how to proceed.
Is it possible to make the motherboard software bootable from pen drive so that it can be installed during boot.?

Solution
Are you sure no single USB port works? USB 3.0 ports are often controlled by a chip that does require drivers, but USB 2.0 ports are generally able to work without third party drivers. Try to see if any of those ports do work.

Failing that, you can try what I did last time I had this happen: I took out the hard drive of the machine, added it to another machine as a secondary drivers, downloaded driver packages to the hard drive, and then put the drive back in the computer, with the driver packages now in it. Any more elegant solution requires knowing what else you have available.

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Are you sure no single USB port works? USB 3.0 ports are often controlled by a chip that does require drivers, but USB 2.0 ports are generally able to work without third party drivers. Try to see if any of those ports do work.

Failing that, you can try what I did last time I had this happen: I took out the hard drive of the machine, added it to another machine as a secondary drivers, downloaded driver packages to the hard drive, and then put the drive back in the computer, with the driver packages now in it. Any more elegant solution requires knowing what else you have available.

Solution