Question Is it possible to load my mods onto a new PC?

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
I have a few heavily modded games like Skyrim and Fallout 4 that I would like to transfer to my new PC. I know that if I download the game through Steam again that it will download my saves from the cloud. What about Vortex mods? Is there a way to copy the mods instead of having to download all of them again? Would they even retain the current progress level such as the DLC type ones if I downloaded them again?

Edit: I have the old PC up and running with the games and mods installed still and fully functional if that helps.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Copy your old data folders over, presuming they are on the same patch. Reinstall mod managers and recreate loader hyperlinks if you needed any. Copy your old saves over too, while you are at it.

All progress are in your save files. You'll be fine if they loaded fine.

Should work for Skyrim, at least.

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
Copy your old data folders over, presuming they are on the same patch. Reinstall mod managers and recreate loader hyperlinks if you needed any. Copy your old saves over too, while you are at it.

All progress are in your save files. You'll be fine if they loaded fine.

Should work for Skyrim, at least.
Do you know what happens to the progress in a mod itself? A DLC type mod like fusion city rising for fallout 4. Does my save game file keep that progress as long as the mod itself is installed. Seems like it should? In other words, would I have to start the mod over again as if I hadn't played it yet?

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Do you know what happens to the progress in a mod itself? A DLC type mod like fusion city rising for fallout 4. Does my save game file keep that progress as long as the mod itself is installed. Seems like it should? In other words, would I have to start the mod over again as if I hadn't played it yet?
For all the mods I know of in Skyrim, yes. I haven't played Fallout 4.

One good way to tell is whether anything in that mod is kept persistent independent of your saves, or if there's anything like chests shared between saves. I don't know if that's even possible within the modding framework.