[SOLVED] Is it possible to move my Desktop folder from my SSD to HDD?

Deluxechipmunk

Honorable
Jul 4, 2015
my SSD is getting quite full, and mainly due to my desktop files being stored on there. whats the process to transferring my desktop to my HDD? its currently located at C:\Users\NAME\OneDrive\Desktop

also.. why is my desktop going through onedrive..? lol

Solution
Leaving the Desktop where Windows put it, copy off all documents, zips, text files, spreadsheets, etc. into a new folder on your HDD. After the target matches the source, delete said material from Desktop. I recommend not moving Desktop, problems can happen later if a Repair Install or re-install becomes necessary. Also, restoring backups can be problematic if two distinct storage devices are involved.
D

Deleted member 14196

You’ve set one drive up to keep your desktop synced for one thing

No there is no way to move your desktop and that’s not what’s causing your SSD to fill up anyway most likely

Your desktop should never be used as storage anyway and you might want to buy a bigger SSD if you’ve got a small one because windows updates will eat it up

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Leaving the Desktop where Windows put it, copy off all documents, zips, text files, spreadsheets, etc. into a new folder on your HDD. After the target matches the source, delete said material from Desktop. I recommend not moving Desktop, problems can happen later if a Repair Install or re-install becomes necessary. Also, restoring backups can be problematic if two distinct storage devices are involved.

Solution

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
A previous poster indicated moving the download folder - that can be easily done. I simply made a Downloads folder on D [data partition], then educated each program that was going to download to only use d:\downloads. I have shortcuts to all download locations because there exists software that has been hard-wired to only download into a designated [hard-wired] folder.