[SOLVED] Is it possible to not have to re-download a game on steam that I have as windows app?

zillafilms

Prominent
Oct 31, 2021
I had sea of thieves on game pass, it ran out, now i have the game bought on steam. Is there any way someone can help me transfer game files to the steam games directory to either completely or partially save time on my download? I have access and can see the game files I'm just not sure what I should do with them now IF I can even do anything.

Solution
U think theres anything that could go wrong if i just copy it all into the folder that steam creates for the game then verify it?
I feel that wouldn't work. UWP files are saved differently to normal applications, so I don't think it would be a clean move. its why you need to use that program I showed before.

Lack of an active game pass might mean you have to get them the long way.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Seems you need to use an app called UWPHook - https://github.com/BrianLima/UWPHook/releases

After downloading UWPHook, select it. Then tap on the ‘Load installed UWP apps’ button. Keep in mind that this could take a bit of time for the software to thoroughly locate every Windows app on your device. After the list of applications is acquired, you can sort through them and highlight which ones you’d like to add to your Steam account. After selecting them, you can rename each app and export them.

To fully export, you’ll need to tap on the ‘Export selected apps to Steam’ option. After several seconds UWPHook will take over and copy them to your Steam Library.

To see your updated list of applications in Steam, you have to reboot the system. After shutting it down and restarting Steam, every new app should appear in the library. If, for some reason, some of your exported applications aren’t there, you may need to log the AUMID for each missing app manually.

For a few tips, check out the UWPHook subreddit. This is a great way to check with other Reddit users to be sure your Steam is operating smoothly.
from under How to add windows games and apps to Steam library - https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/how-to-add-games-to-steam-library/

zillafilms

Prominent
Oct 31, 2021

Colif

Win 11 Master
tbh I am not sure how it worked so you could be correct.

I found links to saving the save games

windows applications are stored in weird ways and its not just a matter of finding game files. Steam games are much easier to reuse or move

zillafilms

Prominent
Oct 31, 2021
tbh I am not sure how it worked so you could be correct.

I found links to saving the save games

windows applications are stored in weird ways and its not just a matter of finding game files. Steam games are much easier to reuse or move
U think theres anything that could go wrong if i just copy it all into the folder that steam creates for the game then verify it?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I feel that wouldn't work. UWP files are saved differently to normal applications, so I don't think it would be a clean move. its why you need to use that program I showed before.

Lack of an active game pass might mean you have to get them the long way.

Solution
Yeah but I thought what that did is just have steam recognize the game, but it still launches through windows, I dont have permission to launch it as a windows app anymore as my game pass has expired. Is this not how that works?
Does it start under windows when you run it through steam, I mean does it even show up in steam?
You should delete the .exe file and possibly .dll files in the main folder because that would be tied to windows store and their piracy protections, then verify and let steam download the proper files.