Question is it possible to overclock your cpu with a 8pin cpu power but the motherboard has also a 4pin or 8pin cpu power extra on there?

Aug 15, 2020
Hi i am looking to upgrade my system and i am using a amd cpu but i want to go to intel and i want to use a k series chip. i was look at the comet lake cpu but when i was look at the z490 motherboards they seem to have a extra 4pin or 8pin cpu power. i am wanting to also reuse some of my parts in my current pc one being me power supply which only has 1 8pin cpu power plug.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

What is the make and model of your PSU? (not just wattage).

Pretty much all newer boards will have the additional 4 pin CPU power. In effect, it's there to be able to deliver more power IF NEEDED. It is typically used for cases where people may be overclocking quite heavily and require extra CPU power.

Most boards should run perfectly fine without them as they are generally optional. But some boards might not boot if the extra 4 pin is not populated. But generally you're fine without it. But still, make and model PSU?

Aug 15, 2020
Welcome to the forums my friend!

What is the make and model of your PSU? (not just wattage).

Pretty much all newer boards will have the additional 4 pin CPU power. In effect, it's there to be able to deliver more power IF NEEDED. It is typically used for cases where people may be overclocking quite heavily and require extra CPU power.

Most boards should run perfectly fine without them as they are generally optional. But some boards might not boot if the extra 4 pin is not populated. But generally you're fine without it. But still, make and model PSU?
Corsair rm650x psu

TRENDING THREADS