[SOLVED] is it possible to recover data from Raid 0 (Spanning) JBOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohammednt0

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
Good Day,

Q.1 if i use Raid 0 (Spanning) JBOD mode, and one of the 4 drives fails the others will still be readable/accessible ?

Q.2 in Raid 0 (Spanning) JBOD mode, when one of the drives fails can i replace it without broken the JBOD mode ?

Q.3 Can i simply remove the faulty drive and do data recovery on it ?

regards,
Mohammednt0

Solution
just to see if it will be suitable to use in my scenario, i do care about data, and i do care about space thats why im planning to use RAID 0 or JBOD i would like to know which one is easier when doing data recovery , and lets say i used JBOD and one of the 4 drives fails the others will still be readable/accessible that will make data recovery much easier and i will have to deal with the faulty disk only,

please advise

If you care about data and space, you wouldn't use either.

These are are about uptime not data protection or storage efficiency. You appear to want to use RAID/JBOD for the exact opposite reasons one would actually want to use these solutions.

Asking whether RAID or JBOD is better for data recovery is...

Mohammednt0

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
i know its not safe but still i need some one to help me & answer my questions
i'm asking about Raid 0 (Spanning ) JBOD mode not about Raid 0 (Stripping) Mode

thanks

kanewolf

Titan
i know its not safe but still i need some one to help me & answer my questions
i'm asking about Raid 0 (Spanning ) JBOD mode not about Raid 0 (Stripping) Mode

thanks
The VOLUME will be unusable. You can't replace a disk in the volume to repair the entire volume. You might be able to recover files off the other 3 disks since individual files are still written to only one physical disk at a time. Some files could span disks, and those would probably be unrecoverable.

Reactions: Mohammednt0

Mohammednt0

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
thanks guys,

regarding the terminology i just used the same terminology that is used in the Mediasonic User Manual !!

to be clear i'm asking about RAID 0 and JBOD and i know that JBOD is not RAID

Last edited:

Mohammednt0

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
are you asking because you lost a disk or asking to see if you want to use it?

just to see if it will be suitable to use in my scenario, i do care about data, and i do care about space thats why im planning to use RAID 0 or JBOD i would like to know which one is easier when doing data recovery , and lets say i used JBOD and one of the 4 drives fails the others will still be readable/accessible that will make data recovery much easier and i will have to deal with the faulty disk only,

please advise

kanewolf

Titan
thanks guys,

regarding the terminology i just use the same terminology that is used in the Mediasonic User Manual !!

to be clear i'm asking about RAID 0 and JBOD and i know that JBOD is not RAID
JBOD would be 4 separate volumes. Each one might be independently recovered. A striped RAID0 volume, all data would be lost if one of four drives fail.
An OS concatenated volume of four JBOD devices might be partially recovered as described in my previous post.

Mohammednt0

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
JBOD would be 4 separate volumes. Each one might be independently recovered. A striped RAID0 volume, all data would be lost if one of four drives fail.
An OS concatenated volume of four JBOD devices might be partially recovered as described in my previous post.

thanks for your reply,

Q.1 so does this means JBOD will be easier than RAID when doing data recovery?

Q.2 when you said that the The volume will be unusable, do you mean that all data in the JBOD Volume will not be accessible at all and i will have to do data recovery for all of the 4 disks to get all my data back?

kanewolf

Titan
thanks for your reply,

Q.1 so does this means JBOD will be easier when doing data recovery?

Q.2 when you said that the The volume will be unusable, do you mean that all data in the JBOD Volume will not be accessible at all and i will have to do data recovery for all of the 4 disks to get all my data back?
JBOD is no different than any single disk for data recovery.
A failed disk in a simple JBOD volume will take the entire volume. A failed disk in a concatenated JBOD volume will make the volume inaccessible.

thanks for your reply,

Q.1 so does this means JBOD will be easier than RAID when doing data recovery?

A RAID 0 (striped) will not be recoverable if either drive fails. That's because data alternates between drives. That's what striping means.

For example, if you have a 100KB file and the stripe size is 1KB, then the data alternates as follows:

Code:
0 - 1KB      disc 0

1KB - 2KB    disc 1

2KB - 3KB    disc 0

3KB - 4KB    disc 1

99KB - 100KB    disc 1

The data in a JBOB (spanned) volume is recoverable provided that the files you need are not located on a bad drive. The file/folder names may not be recoverable if the bad drive contains the $MFT for the volume.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan

please advise

These are are about uptime not data protection or storage efficiency. You appear to want to use RAID/JBOD for the exact opposite reasons one would actually want to use these solutions.

Asking whether RAID or JBOD is better for data recovery is a bit like asking what brand of lawnmower is best to use to commute to the office.

Solution

Mohammednt0

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019

Asking whether RAID or JBOD is better for data recovery is a bit like asking what brand of lawnmower is best to use to commute to the office.

i do know that, the reason for why i opened this thread is that i'm trying to cover all scenarios,

◼ i have 2 Hardware RAID Storage, one is on site and the other is offsite, the first one is for daily use, and the second one i use it as backup

◼ the first RAID storage is 5-bay (More bays = more space) , in this raid storage 4-HDDs will be enough so i loaded the fifth HDD and set it on RAID 5 to provide protection (fault tolerance)

◼ the second RAID storage is 4-bay, (less bays = less storage) i don't have enough bays, so since i don't have enough bays/space to use RAID 5 i'm forced to use RAID 0 or JBOD, i'm planing to use it as backup and keep it in another site

◼ in case of unit failure and the raid system is not broken i confirmed that when one of the units fails i can buy a new unit (same model) and then insert the drive in the same order and it will work again!

◼ finally in case something wrong happened to the JBOD Storage , i want to make sure that things remain simple and easy for me to recover data, from what i read RAID is much harder in data recovery.

So i do have a RAID 5 storage and i do have an offsite backup i just wanted to cover all scenarios and learn more

any advise is appreciated

thanks

Last edited:

Mohammednt0

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
For your RAID0/JBOD (or whatever MediaSonic calls it) you'll have a 100% backup of all data on some other media. Right?
So no matter how it fails, you can recover. Right?

If this thing is to be 'backup', then the data still lives on the original space. Correct?
yes you are correct, can you please read the previous post that i just posted it for more information about the case, please advise

Mohammednt0

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
JBOD is no different than any single disk for data recovery.
A failed disk in a simple JBOD volume will take the entire volume. A failed disk in a concatenated JBOD volume will make the volume inaccessible.

this was very helpful, so in data recovery dealing with JBOD is same as dealing with single disk

USAFRet

Titan
yes you are correct, can you please read the previous post that i just posted it for more information about the case, please advise
Given that 100% of the data also lives elsewhere, and that there are multiple ways for it to 'fail'...ease of recovery is a moot point.

An individual drive could die.
The MediaSonic might fail, and corrupt all data across all drives
Ransomware might strike the whole thing.
Or any of a number of other maladies.

There is no universal "ease", except a known good 100% copy elsewhere, and know how to recover that.

Mohammednt0

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
There is no universal "ease", except a known good 100% copy elsewhere, and know how to recover that.

and thats what i did, :unsure:

◼ backing-up all my data,
◼ keeping it in another location ,
◼ never use that RAID Storage except on emergency,

and thus this will reduce the possibility of Ransomware striking my data, and the drives will live longer, because the drives is not consumed,

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.