Is it possible to remove/disable NAT on Netgear AC815S

Sep 19, 2018
There is an game I play on my computer. This game has public access servers we can play on. However, the hosting company (Nitrado) seems to be actively blocking users who try to connect with a "double NAT" and I know this because one of their techs actually changed a setting that immediately resolved the issue. It was stealth reverted a few days later.

My internet source is a Netgear AC815S which received internet from AT&T. Is it possible to get rid of one of the two NATs somehow? Even putting the computer in dmz (or my Xbox for that matter) does nothing.

Solution
I have no idea how they could detect a double nat.

Still it does not mater ATT is doing nat in their network so that is one layer of NAT. You can not get rid of the hotspot device that is doing the other NAT so you will have 2 nat no matter what you do.

There is no way they can tell how many times things have been run though NAT.

The reason there are problems with double nat is related to UPNP. UPnP is used to dynamically put in port forwarding rules. With double NAT the UPnP updates are only placed into the first nat router.

It likely does not matter. After a quick search of your router you are using mobile broadband. Almost all providers are doing what is called carrier NAT in their network. The equipment is not set to accept UPnP so even if you did not have 2 levels of NAT it would not work anyway.

Even though ATT is running NAT they still only provide you with a single ip address...likely takes from the carrier nat that starts with 100.xx.xx.xx

So even though the ip you get is not public you must do a second level of nat for mulitple devices to share this.

Last time I checked ATT does not allow you to have a actual public IP even if you want to pay for it. Some other vendors like verizon allow it for a extra charge in certain areas of the country.

I have no idea how they could detect a double nat.

Still it does not mater ATT is doing nat in their network so that is one layer of NAT. You can not get rid of the hotspot device that is doing the other NAT so you will have 2 nat no matter what you do.

Solution