Question Is it possible to remove or disable Copilot Preview?

KublaiKhan

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
In case it matters, I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64-bit and log in with a Microsoft account (Yes, I'd rather use a local account).

Ive had some new popups that alerted me to the recent change in the OS. At times, it starts upon boot with an unfamiliar desktop showing the time, weather, and news highlights. At other times, a large window swings out from the right side of the screen, filled with a BUNCH of Edge and news-related garbage.

And there is now a Copilot (preview) button in the bottom right corner of the Taskbar.

Most everything I've found online only instructs the user to remove that button
, but I'm not finding anything that clearly disables or removes Copilot. So I've come here to find out what the best solution is. I have an older rig and cannot afford running too much in the background.

I understand that, as is the case with OneDrive, Windows Compatibility Telemetry, and Feedback Hub (2), this is something Microsoft can turn back on with a new update, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Is there any way to stop Copilot from running on my PC? Thanks, and have a great week.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Question:

Do you see a process named Microsoft Copilot running via Task Manager, Resource Monitor, or Process Explorer?

If so, take at what system resources are actually being used - especially if Copilot is just in the background.

May not be worth the risks that disabling Copilot is likely to incur.

= = = =

I found this link:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/w...dm/policy-csp-windowsai#turnoffwindowscopilot

Go about 1/2 the way down. Also note the deprecation notice.

Very likely that MS will likely eventually prevent end users from disabling Copilot.

I also found these links:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...other-ai/527351de-fbdd-4a2e-8108-962293f25671

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/enable-or-disable-windows-copilot-in-windows-11.17045/

There are other similar links: be wary of third party "tools" or "utilities" claiming to fix things.

Also, for the record, I have not attempted any of the suggestions in the links.

Before doing anything be absolutely sure that all important data is backed up at least 2 x to locations away from the current PC in question. Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Especially when attempting registry edits. Registry edits should be a last resort.

= = = =

That all said - if you open Bing and then go to the 3 bar "hamburger" menu you should be able to click the menu.

There should be a menu choice "Copilot Settings" with two further switch options regarding Copilot results and Scroll to Open Copilot.

Experiment with the switches to determine if the switch settings use more less system resources.

I intend to just leave it all alone until Microsoft settles things one way or another.

And, like you, I will "cross that bridge when I come to it."

There may be other thoughts and suggestions.

Reactions: KublaiKhan

KublaiKhan

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
Thanks for your help and thorough explanation.

I did not see a Copilot process in Task Manager. Perhaps this was nothing more than a new button added to the Taskbar, but that Copilot window was swinging out to cover a large chunk of my screen at seemingly random times, and that sort of thing drives me bananas.

Disabling Windows Compatibility Telemetry and Feedback Hub (2) had already returned large reductions in boot time, and reduced the massive lag I had when the system first started, and well as reduce frequent periods of lag experienced throughout the day. I hope disabling the Copilot Preview will reduce the frequent distraction.

When this Recall thing gets pushed down our throats, I don't know what I will do, short of moving to Linux.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
When this Recall thing gets pushed down our throats, I don't know what I will do, short of moving to Linux.

what you'll do is live with it or move to a different OS. you've clearly ruled out Linux so the only answer for you is to just learn to live with it. that is until they decide the next thing you WILL BE REQUIRED to put up with and so on.

get out now while you can still slowly learn linux. don't wait until you have to go cold turkey ;)