[SOLVED] Is it possible to salvage a dell dimension e521 case for use in a modern gaming pc build?

Oct 12, 2019
I have this dell dimension e521 desktop pc that was purchased in 2007 that ran Windows xp for 7 years until support ended in 2014 and I got Linux installed on it.

4 years later I also got my first look inside the pc after the 12 years since it was bought and it was horrendously dusty after sitting in the same dusty area for 12 years and being used frequently especially when I was young which explained why it was so extremely noisy and afterwards I dusted it out which caused it to become almost dead silent because I removed all the dust.

More recently I have used it as a Ubuntu media server with plex which it actually did a surprisingly good job at considering the low specs of the machine.

Ever since we moved though it has remained locked away in a storage area waiting to be used again .

I was actually thinking of building a brand new gaming pc but that that I will keep the chassi and power lights plus the dvd drive and sd card slots on the front.

I just love the way that case looks and I can simply not see myself throwing it away because of that.

As far as I am concerned though the case is a btx case which have long been obsolete and discontinued which means that if I am to reuse the case I will have to modify the case in some way to make it a atx case and I imagine some metal working skills would be needed here and if I can find some instructions I should be able to do this provided I have the tools.

Is this possible or should I just get an atx case that looks very similair to that of my old one? and if there is one what would you recommend that I buy?

What do you recommend that I try?

Solution
The case is just a metal box.

If I were enamored of the looks of that e521, what I would do it obtain an inexpensive ATX case, and cut the offending BTX parts out and splice in the ATX bits.
I/O panel at the back, motherboard tray, etc, etc.

Results depend on your DIY skills.

USAFRet

Titan
The case is just a metal box.

If I were enamored of the looks of that e521, what I would do it obtain an inexpensive ATX case, and cut the offending BTX parts out and splice in the ATX bits.
I/O panel at the back, motherboard tray, etc, etc.

Results depend on your DIY skills.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution