Question Is it possible to send the RW head of an external Hdd to it's default position via software ?

Jul 20, 2020
I have an old, clicking HDD and I saw that it might be possible to recover some data, fixing the head position. But I would like to avoid the risk of opening the drive. I heard there's a software capable of doing that.

popatim

Titan
Clicking is a hardware issue: the heads can't read for what ever reason.
If you need the data - send it out.

If you would only 'like to get the data' do as you wish but do not hold high expectations.
Often it's a result of the heads hitting the platters and being 'sanded' right off and there isn't anything you can do about that. Other times it may just be a head is stuck and freeing it will get you some, or all, of it back depending on where it is stuck.

If you decide to open it, please have some place to copy any data you might be able to get back ready. Ie - if you have a 2tb drive that you know is almost full with your stuff then have a drive ready that has 2tb of free space.

Reactions: Turtle Rig

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Clicking is a hardware issue: the heads can't read for what ever reason.
If you need the data - send it out.

If you would only 'like to get the data' do as you wish but do not hold high expectations.
Often it's a result of the heads hitting the platters and being 'sanded' right off and there isn't anything you can do about that. Other times it may just be a head is stuck and freeing it will get you some, or all, of it back depending on where it is stuck.

If you decide to open it, please have some place to copy any data you might be able to get back ready. Ie - if you have a 2tb drive that you know is almost full with your stuff then have a drive ready that has 2tb of free space.
Wonderfully said by both mod gurus. It is called as we all know S.M.A.R.T. The HD has its own brain you can't do the thing or things you want to do as rgd1101 said and as popatim elaborated on. Just backup your data ASAP. BTW You can spend 1k or so and they can recover your data if you lose anything. Just thought I throw this post in there.✝👶🎗