Is it possible to Solder GPU 6 & 8-pin connectors???

StupidComputerGuy

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015
So I bought a gtx 970 on Letgo for $30 and the person did say it may be broken but he didn’t know for sure and he was having the “please power down and connect Pcie power cables” and I had the same problem.

I’m wondering if it is possible to re-solder the 6-pin and 8-pin connectors so the gpu can actually get power from the cables.

Solution

While you can play around and re-solder, without a warranty, it's most likely you've spent $30 on nothing. There's a chance, of course, that the problem is a completely awful power supply.

StupidComputerGuy

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015
@dudio There’s a place at my college that I think can help with soldering so they should be able to see if that’s the problem. I just don’t know what else could be wrong with the gpu. All I know is that the power is not getting to the gpu but the power does go through the power cables because it works with my gtx 960.

StupidComputerGuy

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015
Also it wouldn’t need to be all of the soldering joints, it would only need to be the ones that are connected with the 2-pin power lead on the 8-pin pcie power cable because that’s the part where most people run into this error, is because they forget to plug that extra 2-pin cable in. So, if I have it connected to the bus then surely the bus isn’t connected to the gpu right? Or like someone else said it could be the power management thing.

Unfortunately, GPU cards are not designed to be easily repairable. No access to the schematics, build of materials or test procedures to determine what is wrong. Sorry you spent money on something that should have been put in the electronics recycling bin.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

While you can play around and re-solder, without a warranty, it's most likely you've spent $30 on nothing. There's a chance, of course, that the problem is a completely awful power supply.

Solution