[SOLVED] Is it possible to swap the mobo and CPU from 2 computers and if so are there any issues that need handling?

Zanuan

Honorable
Mar 6, 2015
My cpu and mobo: i5-4690k and z97 gaming 5
Other computer's cpu and mobo: r5-2600 and b450 a pro

For context - my cpu (an i5-4690k) is almost 6 years old and its starting to give me issues. A different computer that is used much less has a r5-2600. (I'm fairly sure it's impossible to switch just the cpu's because of chip sets) Would just switching the motherboards and cpu's between the computers work and if so are there any other issues that would need attention like drivers or windows?

Solution
It would be a lot less complicated if you used the other computer instead. No need to swap anything, The data from both computers that you want to transfer can be transferred using an external drive.

Swapping the board and CPU would mean the RAM too and a clean OS install on both computers.
It would be a lot less complicated if you used the other computer instead. No need to swap anything, The data from both computers that you want to transfer can be transferred using an external drive.

Swapping the board and CPU would mean the RAM too and a clean OS install on both computers.

Reactions: Zanuan
Solution

Zanuan

Honorable
Mar 6, 2015

Thanks for the really fast response. This is probably a better solution. Thank you!