Question Is it possible to turn on a monitor without the Power Button? Dell U2711

nospecgamer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
I just bought a Computer Part bundle that included a 1440p Monitor which has some minor issues that only happen rarely but I wanted to fix it. The Dell U2711 was known for the flickering issues and people fixed it by unplugging a cable and then plugging it back in. I watched a video on how to do it and the guy never mentioned that you SHOULD NOT remove the front frame, he just said he kept the front frame with the screen. I was supposed to remove the back frame but when I was trying to pry the frame open I had to lift the front frame off so I lifted it thinking it wouldn’t do anything. I did what I was supposed to do, and I put everything back together all happy ready to use my first 1440p Monitor until the Power Button didn’t work. At first I thought maybe I didn’t plug something in correctly, so I just pryed it open again until I saw something. The circuit for the power button was snapped in half. I tried to search for replacement parts but no one was selling anything for a 10 Year Old 1440p monitor that was supposed to cost $1000+ retail back then. Now I’m here wondering, is it possible to turn a monitor on without the actual circuit thingy? Like maybe a screwdriver to short the power switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
in order asked
should be.
worth a try most computer switches are momentary switches. the power and reset for example on a PC are open all the time and when presses trigger the PSU to start the system. leave it pressed and it shuts down. leaving it pressed is akin to a light switch, on or off, not a tap for each.

nospecgamer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Well one problem, where is the Power Switch on a monitor? I mean, the actual Power Button and the Menu Button is connected via ribbon cable together. It connects to the mainboard in the steel casing but the connector is soo small my two fingers can't wiggle it out. If that connect is the power switch then I need small hands to be able to unplug that ribbon cable and then short it.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
I took this "The circuit for the power button was snapped in half. " to mean the button snapped off and the contacts are there for shorting. now I understand sorry.
you would need to ID what needs to be shorted with what. I see the dilemma.

nospecgamer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Cuz, I can't find any replacement circuit for this U2711 Monitor because the Power Switch was specifically made for the monitor because it used like a touchscreen type of thing to power it and select different image options in the menu. I guess I might have to just sell this monitor for parts I guess., because other than the power button, everything else is fine I think. (I can't confirm if the original issue I had was resolved because now it won't power on)

Oct 15, 2020
I just bought a Computer Part bundle that included a 1440p Monitor which has some minor issues that only happen rarely but I wanted to fix it. The Dell U2711 was known for the flickering issues and people fixed it by unplugging a cable and then plugging it back in. I watched a video on how to do it and the guy never mentioned that you SHOULD NOT remove the front frame, he just said he kept the front frame with the screen. I was supposed to remove the back frame but when I was trying to pry the frame open I had to lift the front frame off so I lifted it thinking it wouldn’t do anything. I did what I was supposed to do, and I put everything back together all happy ready to use my first 1440p Monitor until the Power Button didn’t work. At first I thought maybe I didn’t plug something in correctly, so I just pryed it open again until I saw something. The circuit for the power button was snapped in half. I tried to search for replacement parts but no one was selling anything for a 10 Year Old 1440p monitor that was supposed to cost $1000+ retail back then. Now I’m here wondering, is it possible to turn a monitor on without the actual circuit thingy? Like maybe a screwdriver to short the power switch?

Did you manage to find a way to resolve this? I've made exactly the same mistake. :(