Is it possible to...

peonyu

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2002
Ok, a not so general question here about networking...I have a westell 2100 dual connect modem which has two ports on it, one of the ports is for Ethernet connection and the second port is for USB connection. Well, I have two computers and I was wondering if it would be possible to Link one of the computers up to the modem through Ethernet, and have the second link to it through USB andif that would allow basic file-sharing, and LAN games...and possibly even have two systems online at the same time. So far, when I tried it all i got was one system on the internet and the other one getting a blank page as well as errors about a missing network cable..So anyone know if this possible or have any suggestions?

*The systems are: Win 98 & Win XP PRO
*Linksys lne 100 TX for both systems, though since 1 is using USB only one of those are using a NIC
*westell 2100 dual connect modem--DSL

phr0ze

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
You already have nic's in both systems get a simple router Linksys BEFSR41 ($50) and do it right. Although it sounds like your test answered the question.

---------------------------------------
phr0Ze

I've been hiding in the shadows @ THG since 97.
AMD1800/768MB/9700Pro/Dragon+/240GigRaid0/DoubleWide with Redundant 350watt

Great way to up the old post count this....STOP CROSS POSTING!!!

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/viewtopic.php?t=324" target="_new">My System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

sbolinger2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
dito

:tongue: <font color=blue>My job is to polish</font color=blue> <font color=green>turds</font color=green><font color=blue>, I</font color=blue> <font color=red>love</font color=red> <font color=blue>my job.</font color=blue>

peonyu

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2002
Thanks for all the help everyone, and sorry for the cross posting, im usually away for days at a time and i thought this board was like others where some areas get traffic and some dont..obviously im wrong, so i wont do that no more :). And about the modem, after checking your right camieabz, the modem is indeed a stripped down version of the retail westell so its not router functional...so im going to get a router as you suggested, though im not really familiar with them..would just any average XP compatible router work, or does it need to be 'special', like desighned specifically for lan or specifically to do both or are all routers the same?