[SOLVED] Is it safe accessing bank websites without any protection?

muguetsu

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018
I have aa old laptop which I intend to use ONLY for accessing bank websites and making transactions. I was going to install all kinds of anti-virus on it, but for some reason Windows 7 won’t install the necessary updates in order to install protection software like Malwarebytes, so I gave up. If needed be, I make a fresh windows install.

Anyway, MY QUESTION is: is it safe to use a PC with windows 7 without any updates or any kind of protection whatsoever ONLY to access bank webpages and never saving any passwords? Or am I still under some considerable risk?

Solution
Install a recent Linux MInt, or ZorinOS, and then apply all updates to it...

You can install Chrome if you wish, need to...

Both of the above are quite easy to use...and infinitely preferable to an outdated/unsupported potentially vulnerable Windows 7....

Old Molases

Prominent
May 3, 2021
I think it might be safer if you are using it at home but if you happen to use public wifis and all it can be troublesome. I would say that a VPN can help you stay protected but it can complicate things for prying eyes.

Reactions: muguetsu
Install a recent Linux MInt, or ZorinOS, and then apply all updates to it...

You can install Chrome if you wish, need to...

Both of the above are quite easy to use...and infinitely preferable to an outdated/unsupported potentially vulnerable Windows 7....

Reactions: muguetsu
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I have aa old laptop which I intend to use ONLY for accessing bank websites and making transactions. I was going to install all kinds of anti-virus on it, but for some reason Windows 7 won’t install the necessary updates in order to install protection software like Malwarebytes, so I gave up. If needed be, I make a fresh windows install.

Anyway, MY QUESTION is: is it safe to use a PC with windows 7 without any updates or any kind of protection whatsoever ONLY to access bank webpages and never saving any passwords? Or am I still under some considerable risk?
What are the general specs of this system?
It may be upgradeable to Win 10.