Is it safe if SSD for internal and hard drive as external data?

robobobot

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
i have a notebook with only 1 slot for hard drive or ssd without any msata slot.

is it okay if i buy SSD 120GB as internal (OS, Office, Photoshop)
and i modified my internal hard drive as external with case USB3.0 (Game data, Music, Video, etc)
so if i want to play some game, i plug my external hard drive.

is it will lower my FPS in gaming? is it reliable? is it safe for data? is it enough power for internal hard drive that at least need 12V but USB slot only provide 5V?

Thanks.

Solution
As long as you get a decent external storage case it should come ventilated enough. You'll need to reinstall windows onto your ssd, and use the external hdd as mass storage only. Like reedo_43 said, get a case with it's own power adapter. I really only recommend Crucial or Samsung ssds, but I'm sure the PNY is not completely terrible.

robobobot

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015

will it bad for enclosure external hard drive because of the heat? (without fan)
or i should modiefied the case and add some fan?
will it mess my registry file if i plug in and out my external hard drive?
i hear it somewhere that SSD is bad for cache and virtual memory, is it true?
is PNY Performance XLR8 120GB good SSD? it's only 43 USD

i'm sorry to asking many question. i'm a little skeptic about external hard drive :)

it's hard to find some enclosure 2.5 HDD case with power cord in my area.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
As long as you get a decent external storage case it should come ventilated enough. You'll need to reinstall windows onto your ssd, and use the external hdd as mass storage only. Like reedo_43 said, get a case with it's own power adapter. I really only recommend Crucial or Samsung ssds, but I'm sure the PNY is not completely terrible.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS