Question Is it safe to assume the stock cooling solution is adequate when upgrading from Core I7-9700k to a Core I9-9900k?

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Hi, Guys,

I am planning the ultimate upgrades to an HP EliteDesk 800 G5. This desktop mini is available with an optional Core I7-9700k. I am planning on upgrading to a Core I9-9900k. (Yes, the chipset supports the I9). No overclocking with either processor.

Since the I7 has a TDP of 95 watts and the I9 also has a TDP of 95 watts, is it safe to assume that the stock cooling system will be adequate on the I9?

TIA,

Larry

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, the cooler probably isn't adequate for the 9700K to start with, but it is what it is. They will just throttle earlier than they could with a better cooler. 95W at base clocks under a full load. Not like you can replace it easily.

Might be a good time for a de-lid and liquid metal if you are up to it.

Reactions: KyaraM

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi, Guys,

I am planning the ultimate upgrades to an HP EliteDesk 800 G5. This desktop mini is available with an optional Core I7-9700k. I am planning on upgrading to a Core I9-9900k. (Yes, the chipset supports the I9). No overclocking with either processor.

Since the I7 has a TDP of 95 watts and the I9 also has a TDP of 95 watts, is it safe to assume that the stock cooling system will be adequate on the I9?

TIA,

Larry
The full load of the 9700k is 124 watts the 9900k is 168 watts.

Edit the listed 95 watts by Intel is at base speed not turbo speed.

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
usually if you don't the the 'K' cpu. you don't get the better cooler.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06439994.pdf
page 36, 65w have a different cooler then 95w

and the psu question too
Thank you for the manual link. Apparently there is a very heavy duty fan/heatsink used with the I7-9700, Unfortunately, HP support refuses to give me the part number and I have not been able to locate an illustrated parts guide <grrr> In fact, I have been unable to find a parts list at all <double grrrr>. Unless some wise soul here has the data, I will plan an a trip to the Microcenter service center and try them >triple grrr>

You have give me wonderful information! Thank you so much!

KyaraM

Admirable
I bought it on EBay from vendor: fanatech-inc 90 day warranty, claimed tested and never over clocked: $350
That's a kinda hefty price for such an old CPU... you can get a newer one with mainboard for that price. But then, since it's an HP system, the rest of the system likely won't work with it anyways so I guess that point is moot. At least you got a warranty for a couple months. Still, I would recommend staying clear of big OEMs like HP in the future. They often use proprietary hardware, making upgrading exceedingly difficult.