Question is it safe to buy a Samsung 870 EVO in 2024? and what's the safest options?

heythem500

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2016
Hello guys,
I'm about to buy a used evo870 4tb that was made in 10/11/2023 , do you think it's a good idea or do you still see unexpected failure happening to the users?
is the firmware solve everything if there any?
and if you would choose to avoid the evo870 what the most safer SSD 2.5 SATA options to choose between on a low budget ?

I'm about to buy a used evo870 4tb that was made in 10/11/2023 , do you think it's a good idea or do you still see unexpected failure happening to the users?
Ask the person to run the SSD either through Samsung Magician or CrystalDiskInfo and show the drive's health.

However this only tells you part of the story. There's always a chance for hardware to die without warning. Just that better health should mean a lower chance of that happening.

is the firmware solve everything if there any?
No.

and if you would choose to avoid the evo870 what the most safer SSD 2.5 SATA options to choose between on a low budget ?
Depends on the budget.

Reactions: heythem500
I'm tempted to recommend Crucial MX 500...........BUT I did notice a few months ago that there were a lot of complaints about the 4 TB version of that drive. I don't know how that was resolved. And unfortunately, prices at the 4 TB level have gone up considerably over the last year.

Reactions: heythem500

heythem500

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2016
Ask the person to run the SSD either through Samsung Magician or CrystalDiskInfo and show the drive's health.

However this only tells you part of the story. There's always a chance for hardware to die without warning. Just that better health should mean a lower chance of that happening.

No.

Depends on the budget.
thanks for sharing
other than samsung I'll get a new 2tb ssd only instead of 4tb

heythem500

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2016
I'm tempted to recommend Crucial MX 500...........BUT I did notice a few months ago that there were a lot of complaints about the 4 TB version of that drive. I don't know how that was resolved. And unfortunately, prices at the 4 TB level have gone up considerably over the last year.
I was thinking about that too but the 2tb version BX500, if updating firmware will be enough from Crucial I may get it!! but I don't no other options that can be safe

Last edited: