Question Is it safe to have so many devices on a single plug ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCandyDealer

Reputable
Feb 25, 2016
Hi guys!
I found this thread to be the most suitable for my questions.

My setup is the following.
Power Outlet -> Power strip 1 -> router + lamp + 2.1 stereo system(80W rms)
Power Outlet -> Power strip 1 -> power strip 2 -> charger(sometimes) + second charger(sometimes) +soldering iron 60W (sometimes) +laptop(sometimes)
Power Outlet -> Power strip 1 -> UPS -> PC with a 650W power supply + monitor
Power Outlet -> Power strip 1 -> power plug extender -> power strip 3 -> tv + printer

Power strip 1 has 6 sockets and all are used.
Power strip 2 has 6 sockets but it has a minimum of 2 unused ones.
Power strip 3 has 3 sockets but it's unreachable so it won't matter in the equation.

I had no problems up to now, thankfully, but I have recently gotten a 3d printer (350W) and it has to go on the same power outlet.

Is it safe to plug the 3d printer along the other electronics and if yes, where do you reckon it should go ?

I could switch the devices and end up with plugging the lamp in power strip 2 to make space for the 3d printer on power strip 1.

Thanks in advance for your solutions and the time spent on helping me!

TheCandyDealer

Reputable
Feb 25, 2016
Hi guys!
My setup is the following:
Power Outlet -> Power strip 1 -> router + lamp + 2.1 stereo system(80W rms)
Power Outlet -> Power strip 1 -> Power strip 2 -> sometimes 1/2 chargers + sometimes a 60 w soldering iron + sometimes a laptop
Power Outlet -> Power strip 1 -> UPS -> PC with a 650w psu + monitor
Power Outlet -> Power strip 1 -> extentsion cord -> Power strip 3 -> printer + tv

Power strip 1 has 6 sockets that are used all the time.
Power strip 2 has 6 sockets, 2 of which are almos always unused.
Power strip 3 is too far from the others and doesn.t have to be taken into consideration.

I had no problems with this so far but I have recently gotten a 3d printer (350W) and I don't know if it's safe or where to put it.

If it's safe to plug it in along the other electronics I could move the lamp into power strip 2 and then make space on power strip 1 for the 3d printer.

Please let me know whether or not it's safe to do this and if not help me come up with another solution.

Thanks in advance for helping!

You're using ONE outlet, and the rest of the power strips are all plugged into power strip 1?

UPS needs to be plugged into it's own wall outlet, and then the PC plugged into that.

The rest, are probably ok so long as you are using HIGH QUALITY power strips, which you probably are not, that are rated for 15amps.

See this thread for details on what constitutes a high quality power strip.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/loud-pop-sound.3619687/post-21826356

Daisy chaining power strips is simply asking for a fire to start.

Especially if they are low quality retail store bought or Amazon type devices, but even with something of good quality, yes, you don't want to daisy chain. Especially since you can purchase singular power distribution panels with two or three times the number of outlets you'd find on an average one.

I agree with adding more outlets. I generally charge about fifty dollars plus materials to convert a two outlet box to a four outlet box, but if you need to run a whole new circuit/leg because of amperage considerations, it might become prohibitively expensive for the average person. If you can afford it though, having your PC on it's very own circuit straight from the main breaker panel with no other outlets or rooms on that circuit, is never a bad thing.

TheCandyDealer

Reputable
Feb 25, 2016
Thank you all for your responses.
Yes, all of those are on a single outlet. I live in a relatively new apartment building but they cheaped out on the electric network.. That being said I will have an electrician come and put a new socket along the othee one for the UPS and connect in separately to that. Also I think I found another place for the 3d printer where there are two other power outlets and just have to get a piece of furniture to place it on. Might also move the other printer there if I find a suitable piece of furniture. Until then I will find a temporary spot for the 3d printer.
Thanks again you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.