Is it safe to over clock GTX 1050ti that comes without 6 pin connector?

Zinyak

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
I have Gigabyte Gtx1050ti without the 6 pin connector, its powered through PCI- E slot in motherboard.

Before overclocking, I had a 907 score on Heaven Benchmark ..

I overclocked memory core to (+1000mhz) amd Gpu core to(+150 mhz)

screen shot: https://ibb.co/fwfshx

and my score on Heaven benchmark bumped to 970..

I am fine with the performance but i dnt want to cause damage to my card or Motherboard. please someone tell me should i keep the current setting? or go back to normal?

There are power, temperature and voltage limits programmed into the graphics card's VBIOS (Video BIOS) that will limit your overclock and prevent damage to the graphics card from a too overly aggressive overclock.

I don't see anything extreme about the overclock that you are running.

Zinyak

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016

Thanks for reply... I am using Gigabyte xtreme gaming for over clocking, it came with the drivers of Gigabyte card. So in case manufacturer didnt want me to use over clock they wouldn't have included in their software.

But since i overclocked my GPU my GPU fan is a bit loud. I play Fornite with epic/High settings and temperature of GPU reaches (70-72c) very fast. It doesnt go beyond 72 c and uses 80% of fan all the time. Is it normal?

Zinyak

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016

so should i undo over clock and go back to normal setting? I don't want to damage my pc for just 7 or 8 more frames

I don't think there is any problem at all by leaving your GPU overclock as it is. The GeForce GTX 1050 Ti cards that don't have a PCI-E Supplementary Power Connector usually draw under 60 Watts at stock clock speeds. The power, temperature and voltage limits programmed into the graphics card's VBIOS will keep power consumption within specs.

You can use a utility like HWiNFO to monitor the graphics card's maximum power consumption.

I would take what OC I could get w/o increasing Voltage. That's when the Watts really start ramping up. But it's your hardware. I'm just letting you know where the risk lies. The GPU should be OK. Whether the MB will just not supply the extra power, if it will OC just fine, or if it will fail I can't say.
FWIW I overclocked the GTX1050Ti in my Optiplex 380 without any issues. But I paid $20 for the computer.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

I wouldn't really rely on SW monitoring utilities for accurate measurements of power usage. I'm not sure about Nvidia, but for my AMD cards the readings in HWiNFO64 were a good 20% off from what I was reading at the wall with a wattmeter if I recall correctly. And that's after taking into account power draw for the rest of the system as well as estimating for PSU efficiency.

Zinyak

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016

But the thing is i am not touching the voltage bar... i just increased power limit to 3+

here is screen shot: https://ibb.co/fwfshx

I overclocked for like 20 hours and its working fine for now. I dnt know shouyld i keep these setting or not. The other guy "ko888" telling its fine to keep these setting. And you are recommanding me not to. Kinda confuse now
:/

There's no way to know for sure. It may not fail right away, just a shorter life, it may never fail at all. This is the risk that YOU have to assume when you overclock. Each motherboard is different, some are for performance, others for cost, some OEMs even skimp on PCIe slot power limits. I overclock mine. You can overclock yours if that's what you want to do. You've already run it for 20 hours OK so why stop now. I'm just making you aware that it's the MB that's being run out of it's limits also, not just the GPU. The Wattage increase for speed increases with out added Voltage are linear, Speed increases that require added Voltage are exponential. If the power is coming from an added connector and bigger PSU that's a lot different than getting it all from the PCIe slot. The decision is entirely yours. I'm just trying to help you understand what it is you're asking your hardware to do.