Question Is it safe to partition ssd ?

Sep 5, 2024
Hello, For long time I been using a SATA/NVME (m.2 SSD) as boot drive and a SATA SSD to install and play games from. Now I want to buy one big 2TB NVME drive which is cost effective.
So is it safe to partition NVME SSD ? Does it effect its TBW or reduce performance any other way ? Or is it a completely bad idea to install games and OS on same NVME SSD ?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It isn't going to cause an issue just so long as you are comfortable working with "two" partitions on the same disk. You may need to be aware of how to discern what is what for maint. or a re-install and such things. Is there a reason why you wouldn't just keep your OS drive as is and install the large SSD for games anyway?

The biggest detractor to me in relation to having partitions is that if the drive fails you lose both.

Reactions: wellallnasib
Sep 5, 2024
It isn't going to cause an issue just so long as you are comfortable working with "two" partitions on the same disk. You may need to be aware of how to discern what is what for maint. or a re-install and such things. Is there a reason why you wouldn't just keep your OS drive as is and install the large SSD for games anyway?

The biggest detractor to me in relation to having partitions is that if the drive fails you lose both.
Hello, thank you for the response. I am not concerned about data being lost due to drive failure as I don't have much data to begin with.
But my main concern is will it effect performance or reduce the TBW of the SSD as I plan to use it as long as I can.

TRENDING THREADS