[SOLVED] Is it safe to use HDD with bad sectors as secondary drive

Jul 24, 2020
My laptop is MSI GV62 7RD. Recently, I added a PCIE SSD to the laptop and installed Win 10 on it. It was done by a service professional.

He told me that the HDD had 77 bad sectors and recommended replacing. I declined since I spent my savings on SSD.

Is it safe to use this HDD as secondary storage? Or should I replace it as soon as possible?

In case if it fails, will it cause problems like unable to boot and all?

Thank You.

Solution
D
If you had the hard drive connected when you added the new SSD and installed windows it might not but if the hard drive fails.

I would take it out and try to boot machine and if it boots go ahead and use the drive until it dies just don’t store anything critical on it
D

Deleted member 14196

If you had the hard drive connected when you added the new SSD and installed windows it might not but if the hard drive fails.

I would take it out and try to boot machine and if it boots go ahead and use the drive until it dies just don’t store anything critical on it

Reactions: AswinSZ
Solution
Jul 24, 2020

Thank you for your reply.

The HDD was present while the new SSD was added. It has 2 partitions and has some files of old windows, old photos and other non critical data.
(Sorry since I forgot to mention that Win 10 was reinstalled on new SSD)

The drive which used to C drive was renamed to D. SSD is the C drive right now.

I will backup those photos and continue using the HDD. There is no other critical data on it.

D

Deleted member 14196

Well if that HDD fails then you computer probably will not boot. If it was present during the windows installation and hooked up and windows put boot files on it

Reactions: AswinSZ
Jul 24, 2020
Apologies for the late reply.

I checked the Disk Management Utility in Windows 10. The hard disk was Disk 1.

Right Click -> Properties -> Details

I was able to find the date when the Hdd was installed. Turns out it was installed on the next day after the Win 10 was installed.

Nevertheless, I decided to test whether it will boot or not. Found a disassembling video for my laptop in Youtube.

Removed the hard disk. It booted normally. The drives D and E were not shown in My PC.

So I guess when the Hdd fails, it just fails without causing boot issues.

Thank you for your help @Mandark .

TRENDING THREADS