[SOLVED] Is it safe using increased percentage for fan?

Apr 4, 2020
I am using a Ryzen 5 2400G and I put its fan speed to full speed from my motherboard. I also put my GPU fan settings to 65%. I am using a cooler master ver.3 400W PSU. My GPU is MSI Afterburner GTX 770. I know the PSU isnt enough and i will be upgrading it soon. Now increasing the fan speed will keep my system safe or not?

Solution
I am using a Ryzen 5 2400G and I put its fan speed to full speed from my motherboard. I also put my GPU fan settings to 65%. I am using a cooler master ver.3 400W PSU. My GPU is MSI Afterburner GTX 770. I know the PSU isnt enough and i will be upgrading it soon. Now increasing the fan speed will keep my system safe or not?
Having your components run at a lower temperature has virtually no relation to running them with an inadequate power supply. Running at higher fan speeds will reduce temperatures, but it won't make your components accept the poor PSU and adjust with it in the short-term. They will still consume the same power they need for working at rated speeds, and in fact the higher fan speed will probably put a slightly...

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
Safe? Fans would make it cooler, not safer. The cooler you can run electrical/electronic components the better. Safer? No pretty sure the fans would not deter Ninjas from breaking into your home and slicing up your PC - but would be cooler upto that point.

Having your components run at a lower temperature has virtually no relation to running them with an inadequate power supply. Running at higher fan speeds will reduce temperatures, but it won't make your components accept the poor PSU and adjust with it in the short-term. They will still consume the same power they need for working at rated speeds, and in fact the higher fan speed will probably put a slightly greater load on your already ill-equipped PSU.

Solution
Apr 4, 2020
Safe? Fans would make it cooler, not safer. The cooler you can run electrical/electronic components the better. Safer? No pretty sure the fans would not deter Ninjas from breaking into your home and slicing up your PC - but would be cooler upto that point.

Thanks for it....by safe i meant that will my PSU will be able to handle it or not....Does that mean i can run fans in more speed than the stock ones?

Thanks for it....by safe i meant that will my PSU will be able to handle it or not....Does that mean i can run fans in more speed than the stock ones?
No, higher fan speeds will NOT make your PSU handle more load than it is capable of handling. Running fans at higher speeds is possible, but the power used by the CPU and GPU will not change due to this, and the load on the PSU will be the same/higher due to faster spinning fans. Long story short, you need to upgrade that PSU regardless of what fan speed you run the PC at, and upgrade it as soon as possible.

Apr 4, 2020
No, higher fan speeds will NOT make your PSU handle more load than it is capable of handling. Running fans at higher speeds is possible, but the power used by the CPU and GPU will not change due to this, and the load on the PSU will be the same/higher due to faster spinning fans. Long story short, you need to upgrade that PSU regardless of what fan speed you run the PC at, and upgrade it as soon as possible.

Am i risking the life span of my fans of both GPU and CPU?

Am i risking the life span of my fans of both GPU and CPU?
Doubt anything will happen to the fans if they run at 100% for a few hours, but using that PSU is a risk for every minute of the day. Only life span you are risking is the CPU and GPU itself, because that PSU could kill both of them any instant under load. The fans have pretty long life, so using them at 100% for some time might reduce their life span, but it probably won't be a very significant reduction.

Reactions: TrigoreX
Apr 4, 2020
Doubt anything will happen to the fans if they run at 100% for a few hours, but using that PSU is a risk for every minute of the day. Only life span you are risking is the CPU and GPU itself, because that PSU could kill both of them any instant under load. The fans have pretty long life, so using them at 100% for some time might reduce their life span, but it probably won't be a very significant reduction.

Thanks.....I am not playing any games except csgo and gta online at the moment......if i limit the power usage of GPU using MSI Afterburner then will my components be safe?

Thanks.....I am not playing any games except csgo and gta online at the moment......if i limit the power usage of GPU using MSI Afterburner then will my components be safe?
It'll help a little bit, but honestly it's still a risk you should not be willing to take. Still, I know what it's like to be limited by circumstances when it comes to buying PC parts, and if you are willing to take the risk for the short-term, then you can go ahead and use that PSU until you get a replacement. Limiting the power usage on the GPU might help a little bit, but still try to make sure you don't push the PC to its limits too much or too often.

TRENDING THREADS