Question Is it Safe?

Azmain Iqtidar

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Is it Safe if i overclock my gtx 1060 6gb card.If it is then how to do it?
My specs
i5 8400
gigabyte aorus gtx 1060 6gb
550 watt atec psu
850 va ups

Overclocking ANYTHING "can" reduce it's lifespan. The very fact of overclocking generally introduces increased voltage and increased voltage can always result in a reduced lifespan.

That being said, plenty of people overclock their CPUs and graphics cards with no appreciable loss of longevity, so long as it is done properly. I'm not going to outline HOW to do it here, because there are PLENTY of overclocking guides which can easily be found through Google or on Youtube, and a five minute search will lead you to more of them than you will likely bother taking time to watch or read. So simply find a good overclocking guide and follow the steps, step by step.

Azmain Iqtidar

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Overclocking ANYTHING "can" reduce it's lifespan. The very fact of overclocking generally introduces increased voltage and increased voltage can always result in a reduced lifespan.

That being said, plenty of people overclock their CPUs and graphics cards with no appreciable loss of longevity, so long as it is done properly. I'm not going to outline HOW to do it here, because there are PLENTY of overclocking guides which can easily be found through Google or on Youtube, and a five minute search will lead you to more of them than you will likely bother taking time to watch or read. So simply find a good overclocking guide and follow the steps, step by step.
one question will get more i mean decent fps boost from one i got earlier before overclocking?

I wouldn't expect to see more than a 5-10% boost in FPS, and maybe not that, from overclocking the GPU card. But it's possible. Depends on the game and WHY you are limited, whether GPU or CPU limited, in the first place.

How much memory do you have? How many sticks? WHICH DIMM slots are they installed in?

What is your motherboard model?

What is your EXACT PSU model?

Ok. thanks for that.

So, slots 1 and 3 going left to right, from CPU towards the edge of the board, or slots 1 and 3 starting at the edge of the board and working towards the CPU?

With two installed, and I realize this was not your actual question, but overall performance is OFTEN greatly affected by proper memory performance, or especially by a LACK of it, which can happen when there is a lack of dual channel operation or speed.

With two sticks, they SHOULD be installed in the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket, as seen here. This applies to ALL dual channel DDR4 motherboards. Once we get basics sorted out, we can worry about discussing potential gains from overclocking.

0GoAA8a.png

Also, what SPEED are your stick SUPPOSED to be, and what speed are they actually running at? You can verify what speed they are running at by downloading HWinfo, running it and choosing the "Sensors only" option (Deselect the Summary option) and then scroll down to the memory section and see what is reported there.

I overclocked my Nvidia 1060 6gb with Afterburner and got a good boost in performance..... was a great card but I now have a 2080 OC.

+200mhz core
+ 500 mhz memory

no voltage increase needed but got around 10% more fps. Every system and card will be different but at those settings you will get a boost with no fear of trashing anything. No extra heat issues arised, maybe 5C more but never over 75c gaming, depends also on the airflow in your case of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkbreeze