[SOLVED] Is it time for an upgrade?

phamiltonn82

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
What's up everyone. Quick question if anyone can offer any assistance. Kind of hard to explain but I'm running a dual monitor setup and my system has been doing this thing where if I have a desktop background where there's a lot of lets say white and green in it the computer will freeze and one monitor will display all white and the other will display all green and I would have to restart it to get it back to normal.

I have been playing games on it recently and running discord on one monitor with the game on the other and I'm not sure if that's causing the issue. Here are my current specs and I would say my setup is a little over 4 years old.

CPU: Intel i7 7700k
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IX Hero
Monitor: Dell S2716DG - 27" LED Monitor
PSU: EVGA 750 G2
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive.
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Videocard: Asus GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition

Any help would be appreciated. I'm thinking I may have to upgrade the video card to a 3060 which I've been planning on doing anyway. Wondering if I should just up and upgrade the processor and memory while I'm at it. That's where I get confused where I'm not sure what I should be upgrading. Thanks again for any help guys.

Solution
If your symptoms were to show on only one monitor, I would suspect the monitor.
However since it appears on both, I suspect the graphics card or the graphics driver.
If your graphics driver is updated to currency, then it may be time to change out the GTX1080ti.
Too bad, it is a really great card and will be hard to replace at a decent price.

Wolfshadw

Titan
In my opinion, you should not be having any issues with that system; at least nothing like what you're experiencing. However, if you have the money to spend, I would not (strongly) argue against an upgrade of both CPU, Motherboard, and graphics card.

-Wolf sends

However since it appears on both, I suspect the graphics card or the graphics driver.
If your graphics driver is updated to currency, then it may be time to change out the GTX1080ti.
Too bad, it is a really great card and will be hard to replace at a decent price.

Solution
if I have a desktop background where there's a lot of lets say white and green in it the computer will freeze and one monitor will display all white and the other will display all green
with a certain amount of colors onscreen appearing to be an instigator it would lead me to believe it may just be drivers acting up.
my first trouble shoot would be running DDU with it's safe mode option and removing all graphics related files & settings and then reinstall the latest driver package directly from Nvidia.
if it continues than it is more than likely a failing card.
I'm not sure what I should be upgrading.
it is a slightly older CPU and I would be looking to upgrade by now.
just switched from i7-8700K to 11700K and running at the same speeds there's a noticeable difference in some workloads and tasks.
with most games FPS was only very slightly affected, maybe 3-5fps more in very CPU intensive games like Cyberpunk 2077 while using my old 1080 Ti.

but getting an RTX 3060 to replace a GTX 1080 Ti may not really be worth it.
a 3060 isn't really powerful enough to use all of the RTX effects with higher settings and at higher resolutions. and really isn't much, if at all, more powerful than a 1080 Ti anyway.
also taking into account the current insane prices for available RTX & RX series cards, i'd just skip upgrading the GPU right now unless a good one happens to fall into your hands for MSRP.

i recently switched from a GTX 1080 Ti to a RX 6700 XT and didn't notice a huge improvement in FPS in most games.
and the RTX 3060 is a bit less powerful than the RX 6700 XT.
the lowest i would recommend shooting for to replace a 1080 Ti would be an RTX 3070 Ti or RX 6800.

Last edited:

I agree, the 1080 Ti is suspect, so is his EVGA PSU because of lack of quality components and build. Regarding video cards, I might have to wait a few years for another another one, with the shortages and high price.