Is it time to change my router?

Seaboss

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015
I own a Net gear Netgear WNDR4300. Ive had it since it came out but now after such a long time Im having connection issues. A good example is youtube loading up any new video on any device wireless or wired will either never start or just show a error. Swapping connection to Carrier coverage will make the videos run. Another thing is while gaming my ping spikes and adds another 60ms more ping to my original which happens at least every 5 minuets. I do not notice the difference such at skipping or anything however it is highly noticeable if you have a netowrk connection displayer. I also dont notice any lag but just bothers to see this happen when it never does. This has recently started to happen and only occurs in some of my games while others go unnoticed.

Ive reset my router 3 times in the past 2 days. What should I do?

Solution
When you say that you reset the router, are you doing a factory reset (or hard reset) via the little red slot on the bottom? If you're resetting it by just unplugging it from the power, then that probably won't do much.

If you are doing a hard reset and you keep losing your connection, one of two things are happening. Scenario one: you have so many devices connected to the WiFi that your router can no longer handle it. Scenario two: your device is just old and on its way out. You could also be dealing with a little bit of both.

I was just reading a Netgear-related review where it said that the shelf life for routers are a lot shorter now because we demand so much more from them.
See...

RPapen

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016
When you say that you reset the router, are you doing a factory reset (or hard reset) via the little red slot on the bottom? If you're resetting it by just unplugging it from the power, then that probably won't do much.

If you are doing a hard reset and you keep losing your connection, one of two things are happening. Scenario one: you have so many devices connected to the WiFi that your router can no longer handle it. Scenario two: your device is just old and on its way out. You could also be dealing with a little bit of both.

I was just reading a Netgear-related review where it said that the shelf life for routers are a lot shorter now because we demand so much more from them.
See: http://www.cordcuttingreport.com/2016/10/05/best-wireless-routers-2016-cord-cutters/

Solution