[SOLVED] Is it time to replace my RAM?

Fatalzo

Great
May 7, 2021
My computer is a 9 year old used HP Z220 SFF Workstation with an I5-3470 4-Core Intel Processor, with most parts upgraded.

However, there's an issue.

Whenever I turn the computer on, sometimes it just hangs at the HP logo. Other times it could have a weird white noisy display. Everything's just white and noisy until I restart the program.

And sometimes text gets corrupted.

This is a relatively new problem.

Is it time to replace the RAM?

Oh, and I've ran memtests and they say nothings wrong until they get to Ramstick 2, then the memtests crash.

Reactions: Prastowo
Solution
Then observe the system for the same error/issue with only one stick at a time. It will help to rule out which one is causing the conflict. Most likely the Ramstick 2.

And yes, purchase a higher capacity memory as replacement for the bad one.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/hp-z220-small-form-factor
Then observe the system for the same error/issue with only one stick at a time. It will help to rule out which one is causing the conflict. Most likely the Ramstick 2.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/hp-z220-small-form-factor

Solution

Fatalzo

Great
May 7, 2021

I've replaced Ramstick 1 and it's still happening. I've re-flashed the USB with a new memtest and this new one crashes once it reaches stick 2 aswell.

May 25, 2021
My computer is a 9 year old used HP Z220 SFF Workstation with an I5-3470 4-Core Intel Processor, with most parts upgraded.

However, there's an issue.

Whenever I turn the computer on, sometimes it just hangs at the HP logo. Other times it could have a weird white noisy display. Everything's just white and noisy until I restart the program.

And sometimes text gets corrupted.

This is a relatively new problem.

Is it time to replace the RAM?

Oh, and I've ran memtests and they say nothings wrong until they get to Ramstick 2, then the memtests crash.
Clean RAM with an Eraser Rubber or Soft Cloth Check the pins of the RAM which is shiny yellow at the bottom, for any dirt such as fine rust or the like. Clean the pins by wiping them with an eraser lightly and gently, repeatedly, don't press them. Remember! the pins alone are not the other parts. After that try to insert it into the slot again. the second alternative, try drying it in direct sunlight for about 5 minutes. good luck.

Ralston18

Titan
@Fatalzo

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Also (besides RAM) double check that all cards, connectors, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Look for signs of damage: kinked or pinched wires, melting, brown or blackened components, bare metal showing, swollen components Loose screws - check gently. Do not overtighten.

Install a new CMOS battery.

Are you able to get into BIOS? If so, change the POST settings to be a verbose as possible. POST results may indicate some problem.