Question Is it time to say goodbye to my PS2 keyboard and trackpad, or should I try a wireless mod?

Isaac Zackary

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
So we're coming to the conclusion that our house ain't big enough for our desk, and therefore the desktop is looking like there's no place to put it. Housing is getting tough and it looks like we won't have space for even a dining table (in a family of four).

So we could do a laptop and put it litterally on our laps, or do a mini PC to a wall mounted TV. But either way my ol' PS2 keyboard that I just love won't be all that practical. This thing is a full sized keyboard that's split in the middle with a trackpad. Here are some pictures on the internet of the exact same keyboard:

PC Concepts KK600RP18U
PC Concepts KK600RP18U

A USB adapter might not be the best since the TV would be on the wall and the keyboard down in a lap. If it were wireless it would be perfect. But I can't seem to find an easy way to make it wireless. There is one video I found on Youtube but the person doesn't even explain how he did it or the results. And that was just a keyboard, this has both a keyboard and a trackpad and keys that you don't normally find on keyboards like some very handy mouse control buttons.

Anyhow, I guess I'm just sad to have to let our mighty desktop and keyboard go. I'll even miss the dual Samsung monitors, even though all of this stuff is really old in computer terms.

Ralston18

Titan
Your pictures did not post.

Try posting the pictures here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

= = = =

Not sure about the full scope of the requirements.

However, there are many keyboard and mouse combination sets that use a single wireless USB Bluetooth connector/adapter that serves both keyboard and mouse.

Google "wireless keyboard and mouse combo reviews" and limit the search to the last year.

If possible then go to a few stores to actually view and go "hands on" with the keyboard and mouse. Likewise try as many combos as you can via family, friends, work, etc..

You will likely need to make some trade-offs with regards to features and functions.

I hope not.

Can you post a pic of your desk environment?

I would work very hard to retain the keyboard that you have grown accustomed to.

Monitors can be wall mounted, freeing up a lot of desk space.
A pc no longer needs to be placed on a desk.
You can place it under a desk, by the side, or even more distant of you use a remote switch like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Computer-LIT...cphy=9011560&hvtargid=pla-1479562963606&psc=1

Isaac Zackary

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
You guys are the best!

I will try to post some pics here with Imgur. Lots going on so maybe not this week. The ol' desktop is giving us problems, is not W11 compatible and we absolutely need to downsize. I guess this is more of a home furnishings problem. Basically I need to make a 13ft by 13ft living room hold two adults and two teen boys and most everything for entertainment and school. Our bedroom is 6ft x 6ft, so no desk there unless I want a divorce. Kitchen, bathroom and kids bedroom are not options.

All ideas for a computer and printer setup for a small area would be handy. Sadly the monitors are not wall mountable without a special mount that is no longer available and I can't find anywhere.

I would not worry about windows 11.
I doubt that it offers anything of a must have nature that would compel you to switch no. 12th gen intel runs perfectly fine on 10.

What is the make/model of the parts that you have now?
Do you have a budget?
Most monitors and TV's will have VESA mounting holes that would permit a space saving wall mount.

Isaac Zackary

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
I would not worry about windows 11.
I doubt that it offers anything of a must have nature that would compel you to switch no. 12th gen intel runs perfectly fine on 10.

What is the make/model of the parts that you have now?
Do you have a budget?
Most monitors and TV's will have VESA mounting holes that would permit a space saving wall mount.
The computer has a second gen Core i7 in a very large form factor case that was given to me, about 9" x 24" x 24". I do really like the computer, although it is old and is having problems (randomly restarts with no bluescreen), so it's time is coming to an end after all these years.

The two monitors are Samsung SyncMaster T260s without VESA mounts. But I'm not attached to them really. Mainly the keyboard is what I like.

There may be room for a small desk. I may have a fourth gen Intel with a Core i5 all-in-one computer that can sit on it. So maybe all I'll need is a PS2 to USB adapter.

I'm still trying to make sure this will all fit though. 😀

A case replacement may be simple.
What is the make/model of the parts now mounted in the case?
Would a much smaller case work?

I found some vesa adapters for your monitors:
I really love wall mounts for clearing desk space.

Isaac Zackary

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
Wow! I thought those mounts were impossible to get!

Computer:
I don't think the computer parts would be easy to fit in a smaller case, although I am up to using them for as long as possible, albeit something is causing it to crash from time to time, usually once a day.

The parts are:

Asus ROG Maximus IV Extreme mother board, which is an ATX EXTENDED form factor.

It's got dual EVGA GeForce GTX 590s connected with an SLI bridge.

The PSU is a 1,500W, SilverStone SST-ST1500 that's 150mm x 86mm x 220 or 5.91" x 3.39" x 8.66", if I got the specs right.

It currently has one 2.5" Sata SSD and two 3.5" Sata HHD's.

The cooler is a water cooler with three fans on it.

There's also quite a bit of I/O on the front and back, but I mainly use a 2.O USB port or two and the mini SD card reader, plus the headphone jack sometimes.

I did not buy this computer, it was given to me.

You have what was once a very top of the line setup some 10 years ago.
Since it serves you well now, try to keep it.
By now, you have accumulated apps and data that will be a pain to transition to a new setup.
If you have a good budget, you can replace it with a modern setup.
Some issues may be starting to emerge.
For one, liquid coolers of the aio type will allow air to get into the system reducing the cooling effectiveness.
sli with dual gtx590 was great ten years ago, but modern games no longer support dual cards.
Do you have a budget?
For a family room, you might consider a single good TV for games as well as tv programming. They are easily wall mounted.

Isaac Zackary

Commendable
Aug 11, 2020
So I went ahead and ordered a PS/2 to USB dongle off eBay. Hopefully it works and I can still use my keyboard. Sorry for not having pics yet. It is an erogonomic keyboard with a track pad.

I think for the moment the ol' Gen 2 Core i7 computer is going into storage or even trying to sell it and we'll be sticking with the HP Envy 23 all-in-one. The all-in-one also has an HDMI in, so it doubles as a TV, sort of. I will need a TV tuner.

Do you have a budget?

Spend as little as possible at this point. We've taken on a couple little unfortunate ones from realatives who died during the pandemic and at the same time housing has tripled in our area. But hey! We got a place to live and food to eat. The other stuff is as we can afford and do.
For a family room, you might consider a single good TV for games as well as tv programming. They are easily wall mounted.
Right now I'm thinking of using the HP Envy 23 all-in-one on a desk as the "entertainment center." We have an old 42" plasma and a 25" CRT Sony Trinitron, but there's no room for those now. Right now there's an entertainment center cabinet, a desk with two monitors, a sewing machine "desk" and three armchairs with no room for a dining room table and chairs (there is no separate dining room). As is, there's hardly room on the floor to walk.

So I'm thinking we put the Envy on the sewing machine "desk" with the keyboard and make that the "entertainment center." Then maybe take all the armchairs and put them to one side or replace them with a couch, which would be better. Maybe keep just one. We could possibly keep the entertainment center or change it for a small dining table. What's more important, being a CRT fan or having a place to eat? (Place to eat, of course).

I do have one crazy idea to satisfy everyone's wants and desires. I have a 13"? VGA CRT out in storage and a wall mount for a small TV of a similar size. We could either use the Envy or a somewhat bigger wall mounted LCD TV. I could put on on one wall and the other on the other wall. That way my wife and I and perhaps our boys can get our CRT fix when we want.

PS. these walls have a lot of windows, which kind of makes it hard to find a place to put stuff on walls, at least big screens like the 42" TV we already have. It either goes on one side of the windows in the corner or on the other side in the other corner, on each wall. There is no wall separating the living room from the kitchen, so no inner wall either. I can see the CRT computer monitor in a corner though with some speakers and a small LCD somewhere else.