Is it to late to start at 20 years old in the IT field?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2020
Hi,I'm a young man who wants to know if it's possible to get an opportunity in the IT field. I have worked with Python3 but I haven't created any programs at all. After a while I studied the C programming language and I have only learnt to create low level programs like roulette,lotto,poker,blackjack.
I'm not so self learning and when it comes to making something by myself I fail a lot.
Do you need relations if you want to be successful in this career? I have none.

Ralston18

Titan
IT is pretty broad - many opportunities and many IT folks wear multiple hats.

This:

" I have worked with Python3 but I haven't created any programs at all."

Python is a very powerful language. You may be trying to do too much.

Start with smaller programs and work on getting it functional and then you work on polishing the code to make your work more user friendly, improve screen appearance, efficiency, and documentation.

Create a few programs. If you do not known what to do, then go on line and download some Python scripts.

Work with them, tinker about, learn how they work, make changes. Work on copies that you can simply delete and start over. Things will go wrong and a stray comma or missing parenthesis can wreak havoc.

Very important to learn ways to troubleshoot your code and find such problems.

Set up a computer that you can work on. Go online for tutorials, get library books, or buy if you can.

Keep notes. Build your own portfolio of ideas, techniques, and proverbial "tips and tricks".

Relations - not so much. Fundamentally you have to prove to a potential employer that you can do the job.

Read though some of the other posts in this (Work and Education) category. I and many others have written posts with ideas and suggestions for people like yourself.

Bottom line - you must be willing to work. And that can be hard.

I agree with @Ralston18. You simply have to show proof, preferably in the form of an online portfolio/website, of all your projects and skill-sets. If you definitely plan to go into the software engineering field a portfolio like that can go a long way and help you standout a little. I'm 25 and I've been in and out of IT jobs since 21 - moving around trying new things - so it's not too late. Even helping people out on a forum like this can help create a nice little track record of your competency in IT.

And if you ever want to dabble in freelance field tech jobs, doing things like repairing computers or setting up workstations, you can try checking out:
https://www.workmarket.com/

Feb 20, 2020
But what about the kids who started this at age 7-8 and have more experience than me? How can I compete against them?
I heard that in this field you will be competing professionals who learned everything about computer programming and hardware programming at early ages.

Ralston18

Titan
Look at it this way: there are very likely quite a number of mid-life IT folks worrying about people like you.

Younger people who are willing to work hard, learn, do the job. And have the endurance and general quickness of youth to prevail in the work environment.

Sure the 7 - 8 year olds are learning code. And can do things with hardware that are quite amazing sometimes.

But they do not know everything about computer and hardware programming. A majority of them will find other interests in life.

Still your value as an employee goes beyond specific skills. Maturity, honesty, integrity, you willingness to step-up, be proactive, go the extra mile. To be reliable, able to communicate (speech and writing), work with all levels of customers, staff, and managers. Not be too much of hassle to your manager and co-workers. Have good health habits, be polite, social skills.

When you are looking behind you will trip on what is in front of you.

Develop a positive frame of mind (which is not incompatible with being realistic).

Go forward, make the effort.

Dec 6, 2019
As others have said it is never too late. But after all, you have to have certain affinities and a real passion for the field;)

USAFRet

Titan
But what about the kids who started this at age 7-8 and have more experience than me? How can I compete against them?
I heard that in this field you will be competing professionals who learned everything about computer programming and hardware programming at early ages.
Being the elder statesman at my organization, I run into semi-clueless 18-19-20-25 years olds on a daily basis.
Simply knowing the syntax of a language does not make one a good programmer.
I have to continually deflect them from repeating the same mistakes that were figured out 20 years ago.

The same thing will happen with those 7-8 year old kids in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.