is it too hot for gaming?

tryf

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2014
Hello guys i have an amd fx 8300 cpu oced and it reaches 68oC while playing bf1.My room temp is 31oC.My cooler is the cm hyper 212x but my fan was faulty so i changed it with a be quite one.I think that my fan is an air flow one ( non static pressure) because there is no air comming from the back of the fins.Also my thermal paste is the cm essential e2 ic.Any suggestions?

Solution

Well your 8300 is OC'd really high so it could just be it's going to be hot no matter what and the hyper 212x won't be able to support that especially if your mobo or your case isn't properly set up to allow good air flow. Like if it's in taking hot air and exhausting it through the back then there's no cool air to properly cool the chip.

I just recommended a liquid cooler because with OC's that high you'll get better cooling results in general.
You said you had it at 4.4ghz right? I'm not sure why you have it OC'd so high to be honest, it seems unnecessary. That is, I don't know which 8300 you have (8320? 8350?) so I could be off base here.

The fan could be the issue...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
68c core temp is not good for a fx chip, amd recommends they not exceed 62c for prolonged use it will throttle at 70c. Is the fan mounted properly on the cooler? You should feel air coming out the back of it even with an air flow optimized fan, the fin stack on the 212x is not that tight.

tryf

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2014
Well i dont feel any air comming from the back of the cooler.For air flow i use 2 120mm front intakes 2 120mm top exhausts.My idle temps are 48oC.My mobo is a asus m5a97 r2.0.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Weill your voltage and ambient temps are certainly adding to heat. But still I would expect the 212x and 8300 to run much cooler than that especially in gaming and idle. I would assume that fan is not working well with the 212x or the cooler itself was not mounted properly.

Faike

Notable
Mar 27, 2017
I don't believe your hyper evo is mounted properly because I have an 8320 and I can OC it to 4.3 GHZ no issues and keep under 40-50 C load.

Make sure you mounted it properly, your fans are pointing properly so that you are creating a good flow of air, you have dusted your PC, and that when you DID mountain the HyperEvo you followed the instructions to a T (it requires you to install it in an X fashion - Left then bottom right and then top right then bottom left).

tryf

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2014
I mount it the "X" way all the time.I am pretty sure from what you are saying that my be quit fan isnt enough for the heatsink.Can u suggest my a good static pressure fan because here in Greece they (the shops) dont categorize them in sp and airflow...and i cant recognize them from the looks :/

Faike

Notable
Mar 27, 2017
You can try getting a cosair liquid cooler, they're relatively cheap about 64 bucks and they do make a large difference in cooling your CPU.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A0HZMGA/

Faike

Notable
Mar 27, 2017

Well your 8300 is OC'd really high so it could just be it's going to be hot no matter what and the hyper 212x won't be able to support that especially if your mobo or your case isn't properly set up to allow good air flow. Like if it's in taking hot air and exhausting it through the back then there's no cool air to properly cool the chip.

I just recommended a liquid cooler because with OC's that high you'll get better cooling results in general.
You said you had it at 4.4ghz right? I'm not sure why you have it OC'd so high to be honest, it seems unnecessary. That is, I don't know which 8300 you have (8320? 8350?) so I could be off base here.

The fan could be the issue as the ones that came with the cooler are specifically designed for it, and with no air coming out the back fins (I'm assuming you mean the back of the cooler towards the exhaust fan on the upper back of your case) it's not really pulling out any heat from your CPU. So heats just trapped there.

Solution