Is it too late for an LGA 2011 socket build?

uromastix87

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
In 2012 I built a gaming rig which I was very happy with. It used a 3930k and a refurbished ASUS P9X79 Pro motherboard. Unfortunately it had problems booting and I have been resorting to my laptop. I've narrowed the booting problem down to either the CPU or the motherboard. It takes more than one try to power it on. Also, while its running it shuts off randomly. I've been trying to fix this problem ever since I got it and it just got worse and worse. I was able to RMA the motherboard through ASUS, but that didn't change a thing. It got to the point where it took 30+ tries to turn on then would shut off after 20 min. I resorted to selling parts, but only sold off the RAM

Fast forward to today and I'm looking to build a server type rig to stream movies to my chromecast and stream games to my laptop using Steam's in-home streaming. Right now I have a GTX 670 and the Intel 3930k and the motherboard and PSU.

I feel like taking the plunge and buying a new LGA 2011 motherboard to see if it was a faulty Mobo. Do you think that's a good idea? Or, should I just start from scratch?

This is the one I'm looking at now. http://www.anandtech.com/show/7752/msi-x79agd45-plus-review-building-up
Is it compatible with the 3930K?

Solution
Then, probably, a motherboard issue and, to answer the initial question, yes, x79 boards are still competitive. x99 systems are too expensive, due to DDR4 RAMs.

uromastix87

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

I've tried many different PSU/GPU/RAM/case/HDD combos.

Right now I'm looking for the community's opinion on building an LGA 2011 server in this day and age.