Question Is it unsafe to have a Windows 7 PC connected to your network ?

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
My son uses Windows 7 in dual-boot with Windows 10. I know Microsoft is not securing Windows 7 any more, so my concern is that having a PC on the same network as our other PCs and devices may put the entire network at risk. So, with this in mind:

1. Should he uninstall Windows 7 ?
  2. Is this compromising our other devices, online banking, the SOHO router, etc, even if he himself is careful not to do anything risky on his PC ?
Any advice much appreciated

Ralston18

Titan
@Rodion15

FYI:

https://it.ucsf.edu/news/windows-7-...as reached,not longer be supported afterwards.

If the bad guys find some new ways to exploit Windows 7 then it is less likely that there will be some fix released. All the more so after Jan 1, 2023.

My recommendation is to transition away from Windows 7. Windows 10 is quite good and for the most part there is no need to rush into Windows 11.

Overall there are always threats to be concerned about.

If everyone follows safe computing practices, avoids shaky websites, installs legal (not pirated) software, runs Windows Security/Defender, and keeps up with updates - especially any that are security related, etc. then all should be well.

But that cannot be guaranteed.

And, as always, do regular backups for all devices and continually verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Reactions: Rodion15

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
@Rodion15

FYI:

https://it.ucsf.edu/news/windows-7-end-life#:~:text=Microsoft Windows 7 has reached,not longer be supported afterwards.

If the bad guys find some new ways to exploit Windows 7 then it is less likely that there will be some fix released. All the more so after Jan 1, 2023.
Thanks for your answer. However, what I'd like to know is if my computing is secure if my son is using Windows 7 on his PC. My understanding is that because his W7 PC is vulnerable, the whole network is compromised and I don't feel safe while banking etc on my Windows 10 PC...

TRENDING THREADS