Is it worh it? i7 8700k

Aug 17, 2018
Hello all,

I have a dilemma, i am building my system and i have stop my self on the following:
CPU: i5 8600k
Motherboard: MSI z370 gaming pro carbon
RAM: Corsair vengeance LPX 16 GB
Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 BK022
Case: Fractal Desing meshify C
Space: Samsung SSD 960 Evo 250GB (it is a M.2)
GPU: i have one, and will move to a 1080 later in the year.

But now I'm thinking about, if i should move to a regular SSD(SAMSUNG SSD 860 EVO 250GB)
and go with a cheaper collar and getting the i7 8700k CPU, is this worth it or should i stay with the i5?

Solution
If your main purpose is for gaming, the i5-8600K with an overclock is going to play games just about as well as the 8700K.
If you will also be heavily multitasking, then perhaps the extra threads of the 8700K will be better.

As to the ssd, the faster pcie connection of the 960 evo will be of some benefit, but most of what you do will be small random I/O.
I might spend the savings on a 500gb ssd. m.2 is a cleaner installation, and I think the cost delta between m.2 sata and 2.5" sata is minimal.

I think you meant cooler, not collar.
With 172mm available you can use any air cooler you want.
But, when overclocked and under load you want a decent cooler.
My choice would be the noctua NH-D15s which will cool just as well and be a bit...
1. What resolution will you be playing at and refresh rate?
2. Are you just gaming or do you have other software you will be running? List the software

Also on a high performance gaming computer. Given how cheap SSD are now. I would get at least a 500GB preferably 1TB SSD and load games on the SSD. They make a huge difference in load time. SATA SSD is fine. Preferably a Crucial MX500 or better.

If your main purpose is for gaming, the i5-8600K with an overclock is going to play games just about as well as the 8700K.
If you will also be heavily multitasking, then perhaps the extra threads of the 8700K will be better.

As to the ssd, the faster pcie connection of the 960 evo will be of some benefit, but most of what you do will be small random I/O.
I might spend the savings on a 500gb ssd. m.2 is a cleaner installation, and I think the cost delta between m.2 sata and 2.5" sata is minimal.

I think you meant cooler, not collar.
With 172mm available you can use any air cooler you want.
But, when overclocked and under load you want a decent cooler.
My choice would be the noctua NH-D15s which will cool just as well and be a bit cheaper.

Solution